Pages

09 March 2009

The Joy of Working...

...on a project you love, that is. I know, we all must work and earn our board and keep. But there is something to be said for pouring yourself into something you truly enjoy, you truly believe in. I've just started working on my third book of this trilogy of mine and I realized, quite suddenly and surprisingly, that I really love this story and I really want to see it through to the completion. And by completion I mean published. That is not easy. In fact, I'd say writing is right up there with the toughest professions in the world! All jobs can be hard, and many of them ruthless, but for me, it seems those careers which force us to put our hearts on display in front of all the world to see are the hardest. The artists, the writers, the actors, the musicians, the singers, the dancers: our lives are nothing if not lived passionately. And, though the rest of the world insists we continue creating for their enjoyment, there are precious few who aren't actively involved in these disciplines who see them as actual work. Its' a sad misconception that anyone can act, sing a song, play a piano, write a 500 page novel, forge a gate out of raw steel. O sure. Anyone. That's why everyone's doing it, right? It's hard work, but it is work that I, and many others I know, enjoy. This call to art, this call to heart, if you please. I would not take anything for it, although, there are times, I think I'd gladly run away from it and become something safe. Like a test pilot...

No comments: