Pages

17 April 2009

Writing Away From Home

There's something to be said for writing away from home. There's no distractions, no one is asking you to do anything, there are no phones, no television, and I can't get Internet access at Starbucks so no YouTube Tale Spin sessions!

I spent three hours last night at the local Starbucks, sipping a London Fog and pounding away on my book. The last book of my trilogy. Do you know how excited that makes me? In a bizarre way, it's kind of sad. I mean, I've been working on this trilogy for oer 5 years! Now, in just a few more chapters, it will be THE END.

But, have I mentioned that there are more books planned with the same characters? Oh yes, there are. In fact, a lot of what's going on in this series is going to play a role in the upcoming ones. Of course, I'm not going to give away anything. You'll have to read them and use your own powers of deduction. All in all, it's been a crazy, wild ride and I'm looking forward to having a break. Once I'm back in the states, I'll be donning the hat of editor and spending at least a week editing all three books, stripping them bare, and getting them ready for my final round of scrutinizing: the friend read. All I can say is this: have someone else read your works, someone you trust, before you even think about sending them to anyone! Even if you've poured over them 257 times, let a pair of fresh eyes take a gander. And if you have more readers than one, the better. I'm not saying to give it to every aunt and uncle on your extended Christmas card list, but I am saying the more objective responses you can get, the more red pen marks you can accrue before submission, the better. It will not only give you confidence when that editor or agent says, "Please send us your manuscript", but it will show them you've taken the time (and the pride) to make certain your work was as perfect as humanly possible. If there's any rewrites after they get their hands on it, that's the editors job (and I'm not too sure they're fully human!)

Have a wonderful weekend.

Clear skies!

~Jen

1 comment:

Jennifer Hudson Taylor said...

Congrats on the progress you made. When I get down to the last couple of chapters, I want to sprint to the end, and have to hold myself back.