Pages

15 June 2009

Compulsion Among Other Blogs

Here's a little something from my other blog: http://lessonsintheartofslow.blogspot.com/2009/06/smell-of-scotch-tape-in-morning.html

Random ponderings from a random mind on a Monday morning with no coffee...

Now...on with the post!

The editing is going well. Not as swift as I would like for it to. Does anything in the writing world go as fast as we'd like? That, I highly doubt. I finished editing book one last week but as I started on book two, I realized there were things repeated. Things that needed deleting from one book or the other.

A conundrum.

The information is necessary. Both books have an ideal location for the divulging of said information. I thought at first to leave it in the first book, where it was to begin with. That's where it first appeared, after all. Upon reading both scenes carefully, I realized that the best place to put the revelation was in the place it would have more affect. More shock factor.

That would be in the middle of book two.

This means I had to go delete the ending of a chapter. At least four pages from what I thought was a completed edit ready for re-type. I would be lying if I said laziness didn't rear it's ugly head. "I don't want to delete all that! I'll have to figure out another way to end it."

Yes. I whined.

Then I looked harder and saw how very right my inclination was. We should pay more attention to inclination and a compulsions. They are usually correct, however bizarre they may be.

I deleted. I "x'd" out. I drew arrows and penciled in, scratched out and erased. I think I got it sorted out. And I learned a valuable lesson about editing: trust your heart. Your head will tell you it will take too much work, you'll have to throw too much out, you may have to go back and re-write whole chapters. You think I'd have already learned this considering this whole editing fiasco was prompted by things I discovered half way through book two. I've had to delete whole chapters, re-write whole chapters already. But it didn't hit me until last night how vitally important it is for a writer to listen to compulsion.

Trust your instincts. Even if they don't make sense. Write the story how it comes to you and let if fly. You'll be surprised where the story will take you.

4 comments:

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

So true. We should never be afraid to cut--but definitely embrace the chance to inflate when it comes!

Roxane B. Salonen said...

Greetings! Thanks for stopping by my blog. The party has been enjoyable so far. Glad to connect. I love meeting up with other writers. Have a good rest of the weekend!

Roxane (Peace Garden Mama)

Jody Hedlund said...

Nice to meet you! Just stopping by from Rachelle's blog party!

Gwen Stewart said...

You are exactly right! I have learned the hard way to listen to the heart in writing. When I quit doing that, the story feels "wrong" and the passion wanes...and I end up with a collection of words on paper.

Best of luck to you on your writing journey. I hope to "visit" often!