Pages

03 August 2009

The Query Low Down

Just a quick update to let you guys know where I stand with Dreaded Query. I wrote not one but three query letters. Honestly, I wasn't trying to be over ambitious. I started out by using a pitch I wrote for a blog critique, just to try my hand at actually conjuring up something that could remotely be mistaken for a sales pitch. Surprise: they liked it! I was very encouraged and used that pitch as my first query rough draft. Let's say that was my "what do I think they want to hear" query. Next, I decided to try my hand at the "what's on the back of the book" query. You know, the blurb you read when you pick up an unfamiliar book and flip it over to see what it's all about. I'm going to be honest here. I didn't like how that one turned out at all. So, after wallowing in self loathing for a bit, I decided to throw caution to the wind and write what I wanted. Yes, yes, I followed the "rules". I refrained from being cute and I managed to get out without having inserted one single cliche! The third query was ever so much easier to write. I felt freer and wasn't as nervous while crafting it.

Yesterday afternoon, my husband abandoned me at Books A Million while he went to do a photo shoot. *gasp* Abandoned! At a bookstore! O happy day :) I sat there and spliced together my three query letters and ... viola! I think I have a very good rough draft. I'm excited about having my two critique partners-in-crime read it and give me their brutal (but loving) feedback. Once I get this thing ironed out, I'll be ready to mail them out and throw my little fledgeling trilogy to the wind!

Of course, knowing my letters are out there on their ways to agents, I will have a whole new bag of anxieties to carry about. But at least I'll have the first step over and done with. Then I'll be able to concentrate on my next book, which, by the way, I've already started.

Happy writing!
Jen

8 comments:

alexisgrant said...

Good for you. Hope you'll share them with us at some point!

JStantonChandler said...

Thanks! Once I get the final draft where I want it, I'll share them all. I need all the feedback I can get!

~Jen

Jody Hedlund said...

Great job! I'm so glad you got over the big query hurdle! Sounds like you did the right thing and really worked hard at it!

coffeelvnmom said...

Loved "The Query Low Down" blog. I am currently attempting to write mine, and have at least four rough drafts going...very frustrating!

Also love your headline - with the notebook and typed papers and starbucks. That picture could totally be me, only the tea would be coffee instead;)

ajgallion said...

I love being abandoned unto the world of B&N or Borders. In fact I abandon myself there, LOL. It's been a while since I've written a query - and oh for that dreadful day to come again...sigh.

Kristen Torres-Toro @ Write in the Way said...

If only I could be abandoned in such a place with an unlimited gift card....

Eish... sounds like you're hard at work with the queries! I'm proud of you and I know you'll write a great one!

willow said...

I'm intrigued with the whole writing process.

Thanks for your recent visits to Willow Manor. I'm looking forward to getting to know you better. :^)

JStantonChandler said...

Jody: Thanks a bunch! Yes, it's been hard work, but I'd much rather spend a lot of time on my query to begin with and get it right then whisk through it and get form rejections :)

coffeelvmom: I'm glad you enjoyed this post. Good luck in writing your query! It's hard, grueling work, but worth it. It is so worth the extra effort, knowing you did your best and that you are putting your best out there for consideration.
I took that pictures years ago! It was in the summer, the only reason the cup is full of iced tea and not coffee :)

ajgallion: I used to work in an old bookstore (sadly, no longer there). It had creaky wood floors and a ghost to boot! I loved it. If I could find another one like it and be abandoned there, o my creative juices would overflow!

Kristen: Thank you for your encouragement! In fact, I zipped you a copy of the query this morning. Let me know what you think!

willow: thanks for stopping by! The writing process is a mystery, but one I intend to explore my entire life. I don't think even the most prolific of writers ever truly figure it out. I look forward to frequent visits, my blog to yours!