Pages

31 August 2009

Weekend in Review

Good morning everyone!


First off, thank you to all of you for the well wishes and good luck for our move. You guys are awesome! It's been a HUGE project but we almost have everything in. Now starts the process of going through every single box and deciding if the stuff we've accumulated over the past five years is worth keeping or if we'll be making a trip to Goodwill next weekend!

I don't have pictures today because we don't have our Internet connection up yet. However, pictures aplenty have been taken and I can't WAIT to post them! I do, however, have one I can post:

My husband picked up the keys to the loft on Friday. Instead of calling me, he sent me this picture. Yes. That is a gigantic map of the world. It's almost two stories tall and occupies one wall in our loft. According to Loft Lore, as told to us last night by our neighbor, the former occupant used the loft to film a variety show for HGTV. The map was a backdrop. We're not sure of everything that was done on the show, but there was a cooking segment performed by local chefs in every episode. Seeing that my husband and I both are HUGE Food Network junkies, this is great news indeed!

And speaking of Food Network, Jon and I took a break from our moving adventures on Saturday to go see the taping of the tenth anniversary episode of Good Eats! If anyone of you don't know who Alton Brown is, you must check this guy out! I confess to having a crush :) Even if you don't enjoy cooking, you'll enjoy Alton's approach to food and life. I've been to a live taping before (for an album, not a television show) and they are always enjoyable. This one, however, took the cake (pun intended!).

Needless to say, I'm bleary-eyed and sore but very, very happy. This weekend was quite a chore, thanks in part to the wonderful rain storm that swept through south Atlanta around the time we were loading the trucks. It cleared up just long enough for us to drive to the lofts and begin unloading. The clouds unloaded as well! We were wet, but happy :) And the floor needed mopping anyway!

And, just when you thought I wasn't going to mention a thing about writing, I did do something this weekend writing related (shocking, I know). On Thursday, I discovered a wonderful writing group on Yahoo! Groups. I joined up and they have been nothing short of wonderful! If you are in need of a writing group, check out Yahoo! Groups. You do have to have an account with Yahoo! but that's remedied in about five minutes and it's free. Search their Groups page for your particular genre of writing, and they'll bring up a myriad of groups you can check out. Believe it or not, I joined one for cozy mysteries. I know, a HUGE departure from my usual fantasy. But, I have good reasoning behind this. I love fantasy and will continue writing it. That being said, I grew up watching cozy mysteries (Murder, She Wrote; Father Dowling) and I adore Susan Whittig Albert's Beatrix Potter Series and Laura Childs' Tea Shop Mysteries. I'm discovering more and more that I read more cozy mysteries than I do fantasy. I decided it was high time I tried my hand and writing my own. We'll see how that goes. Prepare for all the grueling details as I mix my pursuit of an agent for my trilogy with my new found obsession with crafting mysteries! I can't do anything easy, can I?

In other writing news, Friday marked a revelation day for me! I now know what NaNoWriMo stands for! You are probably all rolling your eyes now, but I'll be the first to admit I'm terrible with acronyms in general :) National Novel Writing Month has been, for the last ten years, the month of November. Long story short, you register on their website to commit to doing your darnedest to write a 100,000 word novel in a month's time. You can outline all you want between now and November 01, but not actual novel writing is allowed before that time. You can check in with other participants, and upload word count. It's all in good fun, and no one expects you to produce a saleable work in a months time. However, seeing that I have written a book in a month before, I figured it would be a great exercise. Check it out and see what you think! And if any of you have participated in NaNoWriMo in the past, I'd love to hear about your stories!

Well! I've taken up more than enough of your precious Monday! I hope you all have a wonderful week and I promise I'll get loft pictures posted as soon as possible! I'll more than likely post them to my other blog, but I'll let you know and post a link as well. Take care and, as always,

Happy Monday!
Jen

8 comments:

Weronika said...

I can't wait for pictures, and you've had the most exciting few days -- wow. Thanks for all of the links; I'm going to go and check them out right now!

As for NaNo, it's just 50k, Jen -- not 100! :)

Kristen Torres-Toro @ Write in the Way said...

WOOHHOOO for moving!

That is so cool about the tv show! So perfect for you!!!

Hey, the writers at novelmatters.blogspot.com mentioned "Walking on Water" this morning. You might want to check it out.

Helen Ginger said...

Looking forward to the pictures. Want one of you standing in front of the huge map!

Helen
Straight From Hel

ga.farmwoman said...

I understand so well the excitement, tired to the bone, and Christmas morning feelings associated with moving to a new home. It is so wonderful!

I can't wait to see the pictures.

We shared some of those refreshing, but noisy, showers down this way also.

I loved the Beatrix Potter Series.
Another childhood favorite was the Boxcar children.
I hadn't thought of those books in years.

Good luck on everything.
Pam

JStantonChandler said...

HA! Thanks Weronika. I thought that sounded like a huge amount of words to write! But, I am a rather wordy individual :) I'll make that correction now!!!

Kristen: I shall check out novelmatters now! One of my favorite books on writing EVER! Thanks!

Hi Helen!
I'll have to find a ladder to stand on so you can get the full effect of me in front of the map. It's huge!

Pam,
My mom, sister and neice drove down to Savannah on Friday and she said it took them 6 hours to make the normal 3.5 hour drive because of the rain! I know the plants loved it; the cardboard boxes, however, did not! Thank God for duct tape!

Jen

willow said...

I adore Alton Brown. I make several of his fabulous recipes on a regular basis, including his recipe for roast turkey, which has become a holiday favorite at the manor.

Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

That must have been the same storm that blew through here at 3:AM CST and got us out of bed!! Can't wait to see the pictures and READ a cozy mystery by Jen! :)

Ratty said...

I love watching Good Eats. Alton Brown always makes everything fun. Maybe the most entertaining show on that channel.