Pages

09 October 2009

Prompt and Circumstance (part the first)


It's Friday!

"...and the angels burst forth into a riotous rendition of the 'Hallelujah' chorus, turtle doves rise to the rafters and suddenly I stand atop a hill, arms open wide, spinning as the camera pans a 360 around my rapturous, upturned face..."

...then I'm back in the office typing on this ergonomically incorrect keyboard. Ah well, a few seconds of magic anyway.

Looking for something creative to do today? Bored? Stabbing needles into your Writer's Block voodoo doll? I love writing prompts. I collect them (as you shall soon see) and thought it fun to share them. What good are a bunch of prompts lying about if I don't use them and encourage others to frolic among the wide open fields of my self-professed insanity? If you've got a minute or three, try this:

Grab a dictionary (yes, a REAL one. Dictionary.com won't help you here!) and open it at random. Choose ten words, ones you've never heard of and jot them down. They can be on ten random pages or all on the first page you open to. Here's the catch: don't look at the definition! Write the words down, several lines in between, and close the dictionary. Now, what do YOU think these words mean? Invent your own definitions for these words. Once you're finished, check back with old Mr. Webster and see how close (or how far off) you were. Care to share? I'll be posting my own dictionary rompings this evening. Check back for a sure run in with hilarity!

Have a wonderful weekend!
Jen
(photo link)

6 comments:

Stephanie Faris said...

I don't even own a dictionary anymore! I just go to dictionary.com anytime I need to look something up. But usually when I'm writing/blogging I'm either on my laptop on the sofa or at work, so having one in my home office wouldn't do me any good anyway.

Helen Ginger said...

I have to say my dictionary is not in my office. It's upstairs in my husband's office. But I have no doubt that I could open to any page and find ten words I don't know.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Tamika: said...

Ooh Jen, I love this! I am going to give this a stab this evening. I will check back in with you too and see how much smarter you are than me (lol)!

This is a great creative way to have fun with words. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings dear sister...

Jen Chandler said...

Stephanie: I knew posting this prompt was a challenge because so many people don't use a "real" dictionary any more! I wonder if dictionary.com has a shuffle button :)

Helen: My dictionary is hidden somewhere amongst a pile of books in the studio. I'll have to dig it out when I get home, dust if off, and give it a whirl.

Tamika: Have fun! I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'm looking forward to digging out my old tome and seeing what Webster has up his crackling sleeves for me! I'll (hopefully) post my humiliating results tomorrow!

Ratty said...

My definitions would drift so far away from the real meanings of the words that I might be embarrassed to write them down. That's strange because abandoning any embarrassment is the way I write, and it's also the purpose. I might just try it. :)

Jen Chandler said...

Ratty, take a look at my post and see how far I was from the truth! I had to giggle at some of them :)