Pages

10 October 2009

Prompt and Circumstance (part the second)

*picture of Noah Webster found here. And yes, there's a good reason he looks so disgusted. He read my definitions!

How did you do? Were you able to find a dictionary? I dug mine out and discovered I own three, one which is over fifty years old.
Below are my ten words and the definitions I made up

esprit de corps - (french) the spirit of a recently found dead body that hovers around the scene of a crime seeking the help of a mortal in solving their murder and crossing over to the other side

lavaliere - the cloth in a lavatory used to wash ones face and hands before a meal
plantar - an instrument from 3rd century Bhutan; ancestor to the modern Guitar

platen - used to describe a surface which has been plated with either silver or bronze

psittacosis - a highly contagious disease caused by too much sitting; can be spread by being in the same room as one who is infected

ytterbium -a mineral found in the Swiss Alps which can conduct static electricity

zeolite - someone who is passionate about a certain cause but not so much as a zealot

zuccheto - Italian for "little zucchini"; used in piano music to indicate short, rapid movements on the keys, heavier and longer than staccato

wickiup - term used to signify the start of a game of horseback crochet

serology - the study of serrated knives

And now, the real definitions

esprit de corps - a spirit of enthusiasm and devotion to a common cause among a group

lavaliere - a pendant that is worn on a chain around the neck

plantar - of, relating to, or located on the sole of the foot

platen - a flat metal plate that holds the paper against the type in a printing press (do I get
points because my definition had to do with metal?:)

psittacosis - a viral disease of parrots and related birds that is transmissible to humans (I was right about the disease part)

ytterbium - a soft, bright, silvery rare-earth element (ha! I knew it was a type of mineral!)

zeolite - any of a group of hydrous aluminum silicate minerals or their corresponding synthetic compounds, used especially as molecular filters and ion-exchange agents

zuccheto - a small skullcap worn by ecclesiastics

wickiup -a temporary dwelling used by certain nomadic American Indians, consisting of a frame hut covered with matting, bark, or brushwood

serology - the medical science dealing with serums

Ok! So, now we know I'd make a terrible linguist. But I had fun! And I invented a new way of looking at some very odd words. Come to think of it, no one would really know if I used them correctly or not. I kind of like my definitions :) Maybe I'll try them out in a sentence and see if anyone catches me at my game ;) Anyone else play along? I'd love to see how you did. Don't be shy! There's no way you were worse than me.

Happy weekend,
Jen

5 comments:

Ratty said...

I haven't had a dictionary since I was a kid, so I couldn't do it. It's still fun reading your definitions though. The strange thing is that I knew the real definition for the first one, and I don't know why.

CKHB said...

BAD PUNS! I love 'em. I may have to play the game tomorrow and come back to you...

Jen Chandler said...

CKHB: HA! Yes, it is a bad pun, but it made me smile :)

Stephen Tremp said...

Sometimes I think of words I use in a sentences, then go home and look them up at Dictionary.Com.

Seeing that I used a particular word out of context, I wonder if the people I was talking with caught the mistake and think I'm an idiot. LOL

Stephen Tremp

Jon said...

"Italian for 'little zucchini'"
Hahahha! That made me laugh. I'm going to have to give this a go.
On another note, I wasn't aware that many people don't have a dictionary anymore... :( I would have never come up with an e-mail address if I didn't have one...
Lastly, every time I leave a comment, I always have to question the "word verification". Seriously, is "oporeph" a real word?