Pages

03 December 2009

Back to Business

Hello dear friends! I'm back to (somewhat) normal posting, though a day off. The holiday really threw me for a loop! Not to mention the hours I spent rambling around Narnia trying to find a lost fur and avoid the wrath of an evil White Witch :)

I got so many lovely comments on my musing that was posted Monday. I fell in love with that particular quote m'self. "You must stay drunk on writing..." The phrase conjured up an image of a lovely Victorian lass sitting at a small desk, scribbling away with ink stained fingers by candlelight. I saw myself there, hair askew, dress smudged, fingers black around the nails, desperately trying to say what is in my heart, avoiding the rising sun. I have always worked better at night. Blame my Celtic ancestors, but I much prefer the rain than the sun and when the moon rises over the trees I come alive! A pity I have to get up early during the week. I'd stay up 'til 2 creating if it were up to me, sleep until 9 and do it all over again. Funny thing is, I am quite worthless between the hours of 10 am and dark. It's as if my creativity goes on holiday. Then, around 9:30, I'm fired up, ready to go! Cruelty I tell you...

To drink in our words, to stay drunk on writing, to need pen and paper, to be willing to do anything to come by just one more moment of uninhibited writing...is it possible? Is it possible to, even in the midst of daily obligations, of "reality", stay absorbed in our work? It's a tricky case of balance, but I think it can be done. If we're willing to step out of our comfort zone and take the risk of seeming, well...different.

I can remember a few times when all day I moved within the grey area between dreams and reality. I was completely aware of what I was doing, where I was, what needed to be done. But a part of me was lost in story, creating, drinking in the mist shrouded trees that called to my soul, beckoning me to ride the dark steed of wonder into the forest to discover the secrets that lay within. It's not something that has happened often. It's a tricky thing, too, but it is possible. I think it's a matter of allowing the muse freedom to do what it will alongside our day to day. This, dear friends, is a matter of letting go, of trust.

I'm guilty of fear. Fear of what others will think if I abandon preconceived notions and be, unashamedly, who God has made me to be. The Great Creator knew what he was doing when he put this gift of words in our hearts. Unfortunately, it's not something easily understood by those who aren't writers or creative spirits in general. I'm guilty of allowing compromise to slip in, whispering, "Oh, just keep quiet! No one will understand. No one wants to hear." Perhaps not, but how will you know if you don't speak? It's not an easy thing to do, wear our words on our sleeves. But to mingle creative with reality, to join them together in the matrimony God intended in our day to day, we have to be willing to speak out loud in our actions, our voices, our song.

Walk alongside your muse today. Hold her hand, let him put his arm around your shoulders. Share your experiences with her. Perhaps you don't know your muse. Perhaps you're waiting for them to appear. Well, take a moment today and just sit, inviting them to arrive. Don't try to hold him back, but don't allow him Puckish abandon either. Balance, and a willingness to obey. Reality, dreaming...could it be they are one in the same?

"What is real?" said the Unicorn to Charles Wallace.

What is real, indeed.

Happy Thursday,
Jen

19 comments:

Helen Ginger said...

I, too, prefer to stay up past midnight and write. I used to be able to do that, but along came kids and I had to put away my bat wings. I still would prefer to stay up 'til 3 in the morn writing, but even with the kids grown, I don't get to do that.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Karen Walker said...

I'm the opposite--a morning person. But sleep is not what is used to be when I was younger, so maybe I need to get up out of bed when I awaken at 4 am rather than trying unsuccessfully to fall back to sleep. Perhaps then the writing will come...
Karen

Blondie said...

I'm not sure if I'm a morning or night person lol. I like to sleep late and go to bed early. Trying to revise my novel. Yuck. Thanks for the sweet comments on my post today honey. Kori xoxo

...mmm... said...

siiiighhh....what a dreamy post. Ahhh.loved it so very much. I totally relate to much of what you write here about the inspiration at night, being lost n that muse and the fear of exposure/rejection. I've battle the last one but i still stay up far to late. I never know I had the Celtic blood to blame for it though.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

You've quoted "A Wrinkle in Time"! I loved that book.

Elspeth

Betsy said...

So glad you made it back from Narnia! ;) You certainly have the gift of writing...even if you must be a night owl for it to come out! Delightful post!

Alan Burnett said...

I too tend to work better at night although I had not put it down to my Celtic ancestors before, But in future I will do, it is a far better explanation than it is the only time I get a bit of peace and quiet.

Terresa said...

Excellent question: what is real? I love being lost in the world of writing. And I would 24/7 if I didn't have small mouths to feed...as well as my own.

I love writing at night. I write at all times of the day but somehow end up tingling as I type by moonlight as it streams through my window. It's a rush for me to write at night (weird, I know).

Your words are music, this post, a song.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

I tend to write in the afternoon although many of my ideas come to me in the middle of the night. I like the idea of walking along with my muse. There are times I shut her out thinking other things are more important, but I always end up regretting it.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hey, Friend! I'm glad you're back! It can be so "easy" to compromise but the results are devastating. We need to be able to go with the muse, no matter how hard that is.

Weronika Janczuk said...

Hi Jen! I know I don't comment much anymore due to time constraints, but do know that I love all of your musings. They're lovely.

I'm also a night person, btw--hence my 1am commenting spree, now that I don't have school today.

Cheers! Enjoy your weekend.

Glynis said...

Just catching up on your posts Jen, they are delightful!

I confess to resenting having to go to bed sometimes. DH has to be considered, but I would love the chance to just write into the wee small hours when an idea forms.
I write well first thing, but sometimes I get an idea in the evening and want to spend hours on it. He tells me off if he knows I crept into bed at 4am. It is fair enough, I don't have to live with Mrs Grumpy, he does LOL.

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

Hi Jen..wonderful post....very dreamy indeed...

was so good to see you at Mr. Toast's Christmas Tea...

that was so much fun....

Have a wonderful December weekend...

more later,
Kary

Lizzie said...

I love to write as well, and I do find that I write better in the late evening and on. Something about being alone on a cozy couch with a few candles burning around me...it puts me in the mood. Funny thing is, that I am still somewhat of a morning person. So when I do stay up late and I fail to be able to sleep in late...ugh! :D hee

Sarah In Wonderland said...

I adore this so much, Jen! :) The image you so beautifully painted nearly made me swoon with happiness. I am determined to write by candlelight one evening, whilst not the most practical option, it must be wonderfully romantic.

And thank you millions; no, thank you GALAXIES, for your recent comment, it brought me much joy, as did your attachment of
moonbeams and antique tomes. I am sending a hoard of teacups and fairydust right back at you. :)

Thank you again, it means so much! :)

Sarah
xxx

Tamika: said...

I always enjoy your posts Jen! Your refreshing array of words is always peaks my desire to steal away and create.

Inviting my Muse to join my day to day is a divine idea!

Ratty said...

The voice that says, "No one will understand" is a very difficult thing to overcome. Most people can't do it. I think many writers have a second voice that says, "It will be fun to see how many will understand. That's one of the things that enables them to write the beautiful things they do.

Sarah In Wonderland said...

Oh my goodness, I only just realised you'd commented on the other previous blog posts of mine! It was like being showered with stardust... no, really! :) Thank you so much, I feel so honoured that you like my little scribblings.

And my, I absolutely adore Loreena McKennitt now you introduced me to her. Seeing someone put The Lady of Shallott to music is just beautiful! :) Thank you millions for the recommendation.

I do hope you have a WONDERFUL Sunday!

much love and inkstained flowers,

Sarah
xxxx

Carol @ TheWritersPorch said...

Jen....just reading your posts is like sucking up the words of a great book! :) xoxo