Pages

10 December 2009

What Do You Want Your Words to Say?

They spill from us. Pouring from our fingers as blood from an open wound. Sometimes, that too is true. Depending on what they are, where they come from, what has initiated the fall. Words are like shadows, like leaves, like rain. They hide, they creep, they sneak up on us and pounce, devouring us with their all consuming power. They float gently, from lofty branches, they sprinkle, flow steady, or drown us in deluge.

When you write, how do your words mostly come? A trickle? A downpour? A raging river, sleepy ocean, stagnate pond? If you're like me, it depends on the day, the hour, the phase of the moon. Our words are subject to our emotions. Perhaps, our emotions should be subject to our words.

What do you want your words to say? Do you want them to encourage or drive onward? Do you want them to provoke thought, stir up anger, incite action? Make someone cry, laugh, throw bricks? I've read books that have done all of that. I read "Three Cups of Tea" and wanted to build a school for girls in remote Afghanistan. I read "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" and laughed until milk came out of my nose. I read "The Lord of the Rings" and did all of the above and threw it against a brick wall. Twice.

Words are power. They build up. They tear down. They make us sit, be still. They beckons, they drive away. They force us to action, to dive, to fly.

What do you want your words to do? What do they ask of you? "Give me wings," they cry. "Just give me wings!"

Cheers,
Jen

19 comments:

Annie said...

Good morning, Jen. When I write, I want my words to move, touch, teach, give comfort, insight, an ahah! moment. I want my world to make a little more sense to me and solutions through action are always a quest.

Loved your post this morning.

Blondie said...

Good to note while in the revision stage of my horrible Nano novel! Hope you have a great day Jen. You are inspiring as always. Kori xoxo

Annette said...

profound. I want my words to do all that, depending on the subject of course!

Elizabeth Spann Craig said...

Great thoughts, Jen.

Usually my words come steadily. I LOVE it when they gush and I have to scramble to get them on paper.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Hey, Friend! I want my words to move people. That's my dream. Love you!

Rebecca S. said...

I want my words to spring from honesty and love.
Very happy to have found your blog and loved the quote from the other day, too!

Cheers!

Rebecca S. said...

P.S. If you look up my blog, you may find your "Victorian Lass writing by candlelight".

Karen Walker said...

With my memoir, I wanted my words to help others shift from pain to inner peace. With my blog, I want the same. With a new nonfiction piece, I want to enlighten folks about the topic. With the fiction piece, I just want to get the darn words down onto paper for now. Grrr.
Karen

Tamika: said...

Lovely Jen. I want my writing to transport you to another time and place, filled with struggle and chaos. Pricking you to hope and believe in the impossible things like love and forgiveness, healing and deliverance.

I wish my words came as easy as my dreams.

Betsy said...

Boy, can I relate to this today!

Your words were very well put here, Jen!

Helen Ginger said...

I'd like mine to do all that, just not all at once. But at different times, I've worked to make sure they do what I want. Sometimes it works.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Terresa said...

sweet post. I eat words. with a side of chocolate chip waffles. mmmm.

Gwen Stewart said...

I love this post, Jen. I want my words to quietly point to God, but to also encourage and to entertain, to transport readers to a different place and set of experiences. I think these days, we need that more than ever! Have a great weekend.

Rowe said...

A wonderful post Jen. I would like my words to have meaning, relevance and connection with others. I've always loved reading and am fascinated by certain words; the way they are spelt, sound, and what they mean. I hope my words, my thoughts, what I say and write will do all of "encourage, drive onward, provoke thought, stir up anger, incite action, make someone cry, laugh, or throw bricks."

Ratty said...

I think the way I write changes every day. I try to experiment with at least something a little different each time. It doesn't always come out the way I intended, but I'm usually satisfied. When I get started they seem to come almost by themselves.

Elspeth Antonelli said...

What a wonderful post! I just want my words to be better! I'd like my readers to laugh, to cry but mainly to identify with my characters and their dilemmas. Just better...please...

Elspeth

Lin said...

My words are just that--mine. They are healing, cathartic, and expressive, but really only for me. I love when I write and someone else connects--but I count that as just lucky. Returning to writing has saved me.

...mmm... said...

I really love this post, Jenn. Excellent. nicely written too.

Well, as wit anyone I think it depends on the post, or the moment. sometimes I want my words to make someone smile or be that bit more thoughtful or thankful. other times, I want them to share a piece of my downcastedness, if someone is willing to walk that path with me.

i would say overlal, I like my words to express ennui--that certain sense of longing mixed with loss as that is where I often live, for good or bad s it may be. it is wen i am most inspired to write. Such as this post I just put up which came to me in time, with the first paragraph coming complete in seconds before I even wrote any of it but the nest few stanzas too hours to translate the thought it the correct cadence.

deb said...

I love words that make me catch my breath.
I'd love the words to make someone feel this.
and connected . Words are connections.