Pages

08 January 2010

Another Post, A New Challenge

It's slow at work. So sue me! (Um on second thought, don't. Just bear with the multiple posts and humor me with wishes of snow drifts and Godiva hot cocoa.)

I've read a couple of wonderful posts this morning about reading lists for the new year. Mmmm, says I, a reason to devour more books! More importantly, an opportunity to publicly announce my intentions and thus shackle myself to the knowledge that if I don't keep it, many wonderful people will forever consider me a slacker.

Am I up for this self-torture? You bet!! Come on, it's reading :) And I'm making it easy on myself. I'm not going to commit to a certain number of books, or genre of books, but I am going to commit to reading something different at least once a month. Different as in NOT rereading A Wrinkle In Time for the umpteenth (is that a word) time. I do read it at least twice a year, but it doesn't count. I'll list it, but it doesn't go towards my goal. There's so many spectacular books out there, one's that don't fit my "usual", that I turn down in favor of rereading an old favorite. There's nonfiction books (yes I do count cookbooks as a good read), writing craft books (yes I know I'm behind having NOT read the Master's instructions), and collections of Scandinavian poetry I've yet to tackle! I'm depriving myself of cultural and personal awakening! Ok, so maybe it's not that dire (nor have I ever actually seen a book of Scandinavian poetry OTHER than the one linked here), but you get the gist of what I'm saying.

There's a neat little list in waiting on my side bar. Just above the Creative Tuesday's link (which, by the way, I'll be posting this weekend over at The Manor). Just another way to push myself forward, give myself something to attain, and stretch into the growth I know I'm capable of. I'll be updating about the books as I read them. Feel free to ask any questions about them if you like!

Enjoy your weekend and may your year be filled with new adventures, on the page and off!
Jen

19 comments:

Sarah In Wonderland said...

There is no such thing as reading a Wrinkle in Time too many times! ;) It is simply tortuous not to read it more than once a year. I adore that book so much...

Do have a lovely weekend! I hope the snow has not affected you so badly as it has here in England! :)

xoxo Sarah

Malisa said...

I've never read A Wrinkle in Time! Am I missing out on one of life's experiences? Do I need to brave the cold and head out to Barnes and Noble?

Annette said...

Oh, I adored A Wrinkle In Time - Malisa, it is must read! Thank you for the inspiration - checking now to see if the library has it in!

ElanaJ said...

You're going to die, but I just barely read A Wrinkle in Time for the FIRST time in 2009. It's true. I must've been deprived as a child, IDK.

And there's so many good things to read! I can't wait to get home and start.

Jen Chandler said...

Sarah: Alas, in Georgia, we are pining for snow. We got a dusting, but nothing to dream about :(

Malisa: Oh you MUST read AWIT! It's my favorite book ever! I know people who read it and don't like it, but for me, it's THE best book in the world! It's the book that made me want to be a writer.

Annette: I'm sure you'll find it at your local library. I'm going to have to hurry up with Oscar and read it again for m'self, now!

Elana: That's funny! But I do know a LOT of people who have never read it or heard of it!

Jon said...

We have at least 8 copies of A Wrinkle In Time in our possession, but I've never read it... I did, however, read Mere Christianity again. That has to count for something! :) Perhaps I'll read it this year.

word verification was "saungin". At first I thought it was "sanguine". Maybe because the font color was red...

Helen Ginger said...

Yes indeedy, umpteenth is a word. I use it often.

I don't usually read a book more than once. But A Wrinkle in Time must be really good, so I'm going to look for it.

Helen
Straight From Hel

koralee said...

I love A Wrinkle in Time! Thank you for visiting me and leaving such a sweet comment. Have a cozy reading kinda weekend!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I'm like Jon. I have a bunch of copies, but I've never read the book. This feels like a "shame on me" moment. I better read it! :)

Jen Chandler said...

Jon: the fact that you read "Mere Christianity" even once puts you leaps and bounds past me in the reader olympics. I started it...once...a long time ago...

Helen and Shannon: I really think you guys would love it! But if you don't, feel free to say so! :)

Koralee: I'm going to do my best to spend some cozy down time with a good friend (read: book)

Terresa said...

I love A Wrinkle in Time. It is crazy amazing.

I have 4 books waiting their turn in line, including (NF) Gladwell's "Outliers" and "Catching fire" by Collins. It's hard to do anything else as I really want to eat them up!

Good luck on your 2010 book list!

Ratty said...

I know what you mean about reading a certain book over and over, but wanting new ones too. I found myself reading nothing but the Wheel Of Time series, so I forced myself to stop so I could read some other things. I still go back to it, but I make sure there are others in the middle of readings.

Greer said...

i just have to say, your blog is beautiful. the header and the background are stunning.

Tabitha Bird said...

I have set myself a goal of reading 50 books this year. So far I have read three. I know. I inhale them. Though I am ashamed to say, I have not yet read a wrinkle in time.

The Blonde Duck said...

I love A Wrinkle in Time! I read all her books often, over and over. My favorite besides Wrinkle is A Ring of Endless Light...have you ever read that one?

Chaotic Beauty said...

I have never read a wrinkle in time.. sounds like thats my next book for January, just finishing up Jane Eyre right now!

Betsy said...

I'm still trying to slowly ease into this new year, too! What's the rush! ha. Cold and snow and coziness just adds to my feeling.
So glad you're joining the creative tuesdays...I'll pop over to your manor and take a look!

Kittie Howard said...

I'm so happy I stumbled upon your lovely blog. What planet have I been on? Never heard of Wrinkle in Time so Googled it and Wham, was hit between the reading eyes with a treasure-in-waiting! Thank you, Thank you!

Jen Chandler said...

Hi Terresa! I am meeting so many "Wrinkle" fans through this post! I love it. I haven't read any of Gladwell's books but I hear they are super good! Good luck with all your reading!

Hi Ratty. I've never read The Wheel of Time (I know, bad fantasy writer, bad!). A guy at work offered to lend them to me but I know I'd get obsessed and there's no way I can devote myself to a 12 book series right now. Perhaps once I've read the books I've planned so far to read, I'll wander into Jordan's world.

Wow Tabitha! You do inhale books! And I thought my appetite was insatiable :) Enjoy all your reading this year!

BlondeDuck: I have not read A Ring of Endless Light. I need to. I've read the Time Quintet more times than I can count and I've read A Circle of Quiet and Walking on Water so many times they are falling apart!

Chaotic Beauty: Let me know when you read it! I always love hearing how my favorite book reaches others.

Hi Betsy! I'll be posting my Creative Tuesday work today! I had fun with it and am looking forward to all the others!