Pages

04 January 2010

Monday Musings...and an Announcement :)

"Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass."
~ Anton Chekhov

Happy New Year!

Ah, Monday. That roughest of days, especially so after the holidays. Christmas came and went with the usual joy filled gusto and silent reflection that leaves me gasping for more. The new year was quiet, rejuvenating. I was ready to take on a bright new year, put my goals in front of me and advance, advance!

Then the alarm went off at 5am and my old pal temptation to snooze crept in, whispering, "It's OK. It's Monday. No one would blame you if you stayed put." But I prevailed, emerged bleary eyed but victorious, and got a jump start on a frigid day.

The New Year always excites and entices with the promise of better, new, and opportunity. I have always loved new beginnings, even if it was just a self imposed experiment on a random Thursday. A new year, a new decade, and some new tricks up my sleeve.

I left you hanging with my last post. I love cliff hangers but many I know (such as my mother) hate them and get so aggravated by writers who end with "to be continued". For me, that means that there's another story on the horizon, another chapter. Something to look forward to. And heaven knows we all need something good to look forward to. Not that my announcement is earth shattering or life changing. But it's new and for me, it's exciting.

Some of you may not know I have another blog. Lessons in the Art of Slow was a little experiment I started at the first of last year to try and make some sense of life. It turned into a place where I write random musings about life, about living a slow, simple, more measured existence. I intend to keep this up in the coming year, focusing on reflections and lifestyle articles and musings on cultural aspects which sap us of our energy and take from us what we so desperately need: to slow down, to just breathe. Go on by when you have a moment. Let me know what you think. I'd love to have you visit. There's a link on the sidebar of this blog that can lead you there and one on that blog to bring you back. Come and join us Tuesdays and Thursdays. The more the merrier!

And now for the news. I've noticed a few of you already are aware of it, and I am shocked that the few who found out, did. It's fun, really. A third blog has come into being but this one carries with it a bit more weight than my other two. I have long desired to start my own business. I've tried, failed, tried again, fizzled out, changed course, stepped out, rearranged, announced and paused. It was this final pause that gave birth to Sagewood Manor. A place where I can be myself and create that which brings my heart joy. Initially I intended to open wide its virtual doors on Etsy today, but it was that pause that made me realize I was not ready, it was not ready. And that's OK.

Sagewood Manor is a blog, a business, and an experiment in lifestyle. For the next six months I will post daily about my journey, not only to a full blown online shoppe (yes, I do love the old English spelling best) but also in a change of lifestyle, a shift in priority and style. It's not something I can easily put into words but I do hope it's essence will come across in words and photographs. Expect craft projects, experimental products, really bad excursions into metalwork, ramblings and attempts at making homemade pasta and tomato sauce. And always, always, an outstretched hand eager to embrace new friends and create community. The shoppe will open her virtual doors 01 July, 2010. *cue the noise makers and fireworks!*

Do stop by when you can. The door is always opened for you, dear friends. I invite you all on this new journey with me. This experiment. I do love experiments. Mad scientist like. Evil laughter, purple rubber gloves rubbed together as the lightening swirls around and brings my creation to life! But don't worry, that's just what goes on in the dungeon :) Upstairs, the fire is lit, the kettle is singing, and there's plenty of cushions, leather sofas, and velvet covered settees to go 'round. Leave your hat and coat by the door, your cane and gloves will await you on the table just there. Stay as long as you wish and visit as often as you will.

Welcome to 2010! May it be the best yet.
Jen

22 comments:

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

WOOOHHHOOOO!!!! And I LOVE the name! It's perfect!!!!! I'm so happy for you, friend!

T. Anne said...

Sounds lovely, I'm going to check it out.

Tamika: said...

Jen, I love your style! I'm heading over to check it out. And congratulations!

Malisa said...

I am trying to open an ETSY shop in January too! Maybe you will give me the motivation and inspiration I need to move in that direction. I need a push, girl...maybe you are it!

Magaly said...

Thanks Jen. Great blog! you're an excellent writer!

Elspeth Antonelli said...

Sagewood Manor sounds like the kind of place where I would be perfectly happy. What an exciting new venture for you! I wish you all possible success and a large purring cat beside the fire. (or perhaps curled up on a velvet settee).

Elspeth

Karen Walker said...

Wow, Jen. Can I have some of your energy? Kidding aside, congratulations and best of luck on these new ventures. Will go check them out now
Karen

Annette said...

I am excited about your new venture. How you have the energy is beyond me! Am already a follower and will be by for a read after I make some coffee. =)

willow said...

Best of luck on your new business, Jen! There's always room for another Manor! ;^)

ElanaJ said...

May it be the best, indeed. Good luck with your business and the new blog!

Helen Ginger said...

Best of luck with this new adventure. I've seen it listed on your profile, but always click on the top blog (I figure if people have multiple blog, they list them in the order they'd like them to be clicked).

This sounds like a great idea.

Helen
Straight From Hel

Thistle Cove Farm said...

So...trade with me howabouts? It was 53 above zero IN the bedroom at 6 a.m. and that's about six degrees Warmer because we plugged the leaky fireplace. Come spring, we'll plug it in earnest and then put in gas logs...I hope!
Outside, a frosty 12 above with wind chills taking it to about 15 below. No, I'm not that fat, it's all the layers...promise!

Jen Chandler said...

Thanks guys! Thanks for the support, well wishes and kind words and thoughts. I can't wait to get this little project going :) Join me will you! I promise you won't regret it!

Jen

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

A person would have to be rejuvenated to even think about keeping up with the goals you set! I look forward to checking out your other blogs.

The Blonde Duck said...

It sounds like you have a lot of cool things!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Oh, that is BIG news! Congrats on the new biz! I will take a peek in!

Happy New Year!

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

It sounds like you are greeting this new decade with arms wide open. I look forward to watching your new enterprises as they develop, and, hopefully, flourish!

And the old timey spelling of "shoppe"? No problem, says the girl who insists on spelling grey in the manner of the monarchy :)

FireLight said...

Your blog is absolutley filled with beauty & peace and warmth! I love it here.
I responded to your post at TKR.
I am in Alabama, but I work in LaGrange!

Blondie said...

I've added them all honey! Way to go! Kori xoxo

Jody Hedlund said...

Oh wow! Sounds like a wonderful adventure for 2010!

Terresa said...

Sagewood manor sounds divine. What an exciting venture. Can't wait to check it out!

Carla Gade said...

Congratulations on your new endeavor, Sagewood Manor. Love the name. Many blessings!!!