Pages

29 January 2010

A Pondering for a Cloudy Day

Do you ever wish you could just stop? Everything around you would come to a halt. Except you. You'd climb out of your chair and start walking. You'd pick that mouse from the cat's claws and move him to safety. You'd put a rose in the gnarled hands of that old lady. You'd dowse the small fire than started in that living room and turn the run away teenager around to run smack dab into his mother's open arms.

Then you'd clamber across stilled traffic and walk on. Following a soul compass you never bothered to check before. You'd collect dandelions along the way, blow the seeds in all directions and marvel at how they sit like jewels amongst the frozen skies. And when you paused you'd marvel at the sights, where your soul took you. Marvel at how you walked across waves and over mountains, how jets looked small when you held them in your hands. How even the air was fresher because the smoke belched from towers was no longer spreading.

When you finally stopped you'd climb down from the clouds and slip effortlessly into a you-shaped slot. You'd blow a kiss to unseen forces, the clock would resume ticking, those around you welcome you. And everything would be as it should be.

20 comments:

willow said...

Let's go!

Kittie Howard said...

Beautiful, Jen. I love the line about jets looking small...and, best of all, turning the kid around into h/her mother's arms...your post says much and is lovely weekend thought...

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Oh, if only...if only...

This is a wonderful thought! :)

Blondie said...

Sounds wonderful...thanks for transporting me to a peaceful, relaxing place honey! Have a great weekend Jen! Kori xoxo

Elana Johnson said...

Yes, this sounds heavenly. It sort of reminds me of that movie, Groundhog Day, where he goes around fixing things so the money doesn't get taken, etc.

Brian Miller said...

that would be totally cool! the part about turning the kid around did it for me as well. smiles.

Terresa said...

Have you seen that Twilight Zone like this?

The world suddenly stops & this guy, curious, wanders all around it and in between people and strange stopped events. Weird & creepy & dreamy all at the same time.

Sarah In Wonderland said...

' You'd collect dandelions along the way, blow the seeds in all directions and marvel at how they sit like jewels amongst the frozen skies. '

This is so beautiful it almost stopped my heart in its pattering beat.

Anastasia said...

beautiful writing as usual.

thank you for the comment on my blog. It looks like she won't be home until Sunday.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I really like the part about the soul compass and the you-shaped slot. Ah, when all things fit where they belong.

Greer said...

oh how i feel this way..





x

Suzette Saxton said...

As long as I didn't age while the rest of my family held still, I wouldn't mind doing this for a little while every day.

deb said...

Oh, I would love this.
I'm in.
You wrote it with such elegance.

Lizzie said...

Say when and where, and I'll be there right with you!!! :)

The Blonde Duck said...

I wish that often!

Lin said...

Yep! Gees, there are plenty of times when I wish this could happen. When I would like to right the wrongs done to my kids that break their hearts, or when a friend is hurt or correct something hurtful I have said in error. Oh, to have that ability!

Erin Kuhns said...

I think I was holding my breath as I read this blog entry. I quite enjoy your writing and will most definitely be back. Soon.

Kristi said...

Beautiful writing...loved this entry!

Inspiration in Italy said...

Love this post, beautifully written too. Sounds simply wonderful....if only.

xoxo
Rachel

Carol@ Writers Porch/ Book House said...

Wonderful pondering Jen! I'm ready when you are! :)