Pages

19 March 2010

Happy Friday!

Still searching through a wilderness of plots and pollen...


So the pollen bug is still here and my voice is slowly vanishing. Not too fun when your job consists of answering phones all day. Le sigh...

While pondering my script writing conundrum, as in what oh what to write, I had a revelation. Sure, an adaptation would be easy practice. I would already have the story out there, a story I know front ways and back ways. All I would have to do is create an adaptation of the story and put it in script form. I know, easy-peasy (ha!).

HOWEVER

I got to thinking (a dangerous thing) and wondered if I should just scrap the "easy" way and dive in with my own story? In this case, there are three ways I could go.

1) I could take a story I already have written and turn it into a script.
2) I could take a story that I am itching to write and turn it into a script.
OR
3) I could take the story that came to me in a dream that WAS a film, complete with cast, crew,
film location, and a big banner that stretched over the high school gym where I was filming it. (Okay, the story has nothing to do with high school, but that was where my dream had it being filmed...)

So I'm looking at these choices. I'm seeing the easy one. I'm seeing the obvious one. I'm seeing the one that would be a midway between the two that would allow me the ease of turning a novel plot into a script. Could I make this any harder on myself? :)

So, here's what I'm going to do. I'm going to think on it. All weekend. Weigh the pros and cons. I know, it's not like Tim Burton has asked me to do this (oh, if ONLY) but it IS something I want to possibly pursue beyond this script writing frenzy.

What would you do, dear friends? Would you grab the bull by the horns and tackle the movie that popped into your night thoughts? Would you take the middle road, the story you have outlined and weave it in and out of a script writing format? Or would you take the story written, add some bold type here, some slug lines there and *poof* script-ish?

I already know the answer.

What say you?

Happy Weekend,
Jen

13 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Well, if it were me, I'd get quiet, go deep within, and ask my higher self which story is calling to me to write. And if I were really serious about script writing or is it just an exercise to see if I could do it.
Karen

Jody Hedlund said...

I would do the hard thing. But that's because I've realized over the years that the hard thing pushes me to grow the most.

Alan Burnett said...

I'd probably do the easy thing. However easy it might appear it is still going to be hard - better it be hard work that gets finished than impossible work which falls by the wayside. Mind you, the easy way might not be the adaptation of an existing story.

Jen Chandler said...

Karen, as always, very wise words. That's what I'll be doing this weekend. I feel I already know the answer, but it bears some meditating on just the same.

Jody, you're so right! The hard thing is usually what pays off the most dividends in the end.

Alan, very wise indeed. The easy thing may NOT be the already completed story. I have not thought of that. Thank you!

Mary Aalgaard said...

I'd scratch that itch. If you're itching to write something, it will come forward no matter how hard you try to concentrate on the other matters. Believe me, I know. My characters were pounding on my head! "Let us out. We have a story to tell."

Glynis said...

It would depend on how hard I wanted to push myself. If I felt the easy option story was just as strong as the others, then I would opt for that. This would speed up the process for me to start another project. Boredom wouldn't stand a chance of creeping in,and I would have achieved two things and not one. :)

Did that make any sense to you at all,Jen? LOL

Enjoy the weekend.

Nicole Ducleroir said...

I'd grab the bull my the horns and work with the project that keeps jumping up and down, waving its arms in the air, hoping you'll pick it. You know the one, don't you? Pick it. Go ahead, it's the right choice. :))

I love LOVE Tim Burton's work!!

Happy Friday, Jen!

Anastasia said...

Just do all of them! ;)

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

I have a story I'm dying to write, but can't write for at least a year (won't work with my current series.) So I've just plotted it out and stuck it in a Word file to wait it out. :(

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

sanjeet said...

I feel I already know the answer, but it bears some meditating on just the same.
home jobs india

Blondie said...

Love this post! I'm so glad to see you are doing well honey...you continue to inspire me. Thank you so much for visiting and the comments on my new blog. I'd love to get your feedback! Have a great week. Kori xoxo

Kittie Howard said...

Mary's right; you've got to scratch the itch or else the urge to scratch will overpower contrary goals. Good luck!

Mmm said...

Oh gosh, I have no idea Jen. Sorry but I will want to see what you chose. Good luck!