Pages

12 March 2010

Quotes to kick off your weekend

I'm in one of THOSE moods today...this happens on Fridays. I get inspired!! There. I've given you fair warning. Proceed at your own risk :)

"The key to change ... is to let go of fear."
~ Rosanne Cash

Is there something I know I need to do? Something that's calling to the deep places of my soul? Why am I hesitant? Why do I choose to cling to fear instead of embracing the freedom of my calling?

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
~ Maria Robinson

Today is the most important day of your life. Not tomorrow, not next week, not next year when you graduate, your kids move out, you retire. TODAY. Why? Because today is all you're promised. Today you can choose life. Today you can make the necessary decisions to take the necessary actions to get you where you were born to be.

"Life can either be accepted or changed.
If it is not accepted, it must be changed.
If it cannot be changed, then it must be accepted."
~ Anon

Example: I wish more than anything I could work from home, tend my own plot of God's green earth, grow words and water lives. I must, however, work in a job that is not feeding me creatively, soul-wise. I cannot change this. I must accept it. That doesn't mean that by accepting it, I will never achieve what I wish. No. On the contrary. To accept where you are, right now, is to open yourself up to receive more. When you pine for what is lost, or what is taken, or what cannot be helped, you block yourself from receiving blessings. You loose sight of doors and windows being opened all around you. To accept the unchangeable -for the time being- is to loosen your heart and your mind to see what surrounds you: beauty, love, joy, magic, wonder. Yes, it is there, despite the circumstances. Accept yourself as you are right now and suddenly a whole world will leap out at you.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

Someone else put it this way, "If there is a book you wish to read but cannot find it, it stands to reason that you must write it." If you wish for more peace, be a peacemaker. If you wish for more love, love others. If you wish for less poverty, hunger, hurt, be a giver. If you wish for tales of swashbuckling air pirates who sail on ships made of tree limbs and fight for freedom and justice and silver medallions that look like sand dollars, then you must write it (considering there's not already a story like that out there...if there is, someone please tell me :))

"The great thing is, if one can, to stop regarding all the unpleasant things
as interruptions in one's 'own' or 'real' life.
The truth is, of course, that what one regards as interruptions
are precisely one's life."
~C.S. Lewis

Many a moment have I wasted in waiting for a current issue to leave so I could finally get on with my life. We don't have enough room, we don't have enough money, I don't have enough time, I don't have my own yard, blah, blah, blah. What I am finally beginning to realize is that day to day IS my life. No matter what. If I can't pursue my dreams NOW -without a lot of room, time, resources- then what makes think that when I DO have "all that" I will be passionate about it then? If the passion is in you, you CAN do it. If you are passionate enough about something you can change the world, your world. Don't be afraid to be passionate. Only passionate people do things worth doing. You may fall, you may make mistakes, but that's how you learn. Fall in a hole and you'll either fill it in so you won't fall in it next time, or you'll go 'round.

Now, my weekend warriors: get out there and conquer your world!

Journey on,
Jen

18 comments:

roxy said...

I like thinking of myself as a warrior. I haven't seen myself in that light before. Maybe I have the confidence now to get out there and do some conquering. Have a great weekend, Jen.

Tamika: said...

I love the C.S. Lewis quote! Every interruption is a part of what I need to use to build myself and my writing.

Thanks for giving us a fresh dose of inspiration. I needed it!

Crystal Cook said...

Thanks for this. I needed it :)
Huzzah! To conquer!

Michelle Gregory said...

thanks. i needed to read this today.

Kristie Cook said...

This came just in time for me and I almost didn't get to it because I've "wasted" enough time on blogs today. I think I was brought to it for a reason, though, because I was just thinking (whining) this morning that there's too much real life in the way to accomplish my dreams.

Thank you so much! Have a fantastic weekend!

Mary Aalgaard said...

The journey is calling us. When we finally answer that call, well, magic happens. It is so exciting for me to see you discover it, while I am also embracing mine.

Karen Walker said...

This is such a wise post, Jen. YOu've captured so much of life's wisdom in these short passages. Love the idea of thinking of myself as a warrior - not at all how I see myself.
Karen

Shannon O'Donnell said...

The Anon and C.S. Lewis quotes hit me hardest. I love your paragraph following the Anonymous quote - perfect and 100% right. Thanks, Jen. Have a great weekend. :-)

Brian Miller said...

smiles...thanks for the extra kick in the keister...

Amanda Cooper said...

These are all great quotes. Thanks for sharing them and your thoughts.

maggie's garden said...

I love your enthusiasm. Thanks for your uplifting post.
Have a wonderful weekend.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Great quotes. I thike the Roseanne Cash one is a keeper for me.

Terresa said...

The Lewis quote really hits home to me right now. I am adding that one to my quote list (now 80 pages and growing).

I realized these past days that I'm creating my own road blocks. What are "interruptions" are, indeed, life.

And I've been using my children as the excuse to be 'busy' and not develop my manuscript more. {Truth be told, I'm terrified of writing an entire novel. What if I do and it's crap? But how do I know if I don't ever do it? So, I am!}

ajgallion said...

I loved this medley of quotes, as a divorced mom of a 1 & 6 year old, believe me fear, change, and acceptance are three areas that I'm learned to really fine tune. Thank you for this!

faerwillow said...

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning,
but anyone can start today and make a new ending."
~ Maria Robinson

~ i am a FIRM believer in these words...so true...we can only move forward...wishing you adn yours a beautiful day...happy spring...brightest blessings~

Alexis Grant said...

whoohoo! happy weekend!

Kittie Howard said...

Each of your quotes hit home. Thanks, Jen. And, yes, we are warriors, come to think of it.

sanjeet said...

Maybe I have the confidence now to get out there and do some conquering. Have a great weekend,
home jobs india