Pages

25 March 2010

Thursday Catch-Up

"The only difference between a rut and a grave
is there dimensions." ~ Ellen Glasgow

I have talked a lot about change it seems. Just about every week I'm posting something about it. It would be safe to assume that I need to implement some changes in my life.

There is nothing wrong with change. Change is often for the best. At least, the kind you go looking for is. We've had a few changes lately. Jon got a job (hallelujah!), and while it's not "the" job, it's something until he can find it (whatever "the" job may be). He'll be working afternoons and early evenings which is strange because I work 8:30 -5 and he won't be getting home until around 9 or 11 most nights. But it's for the best: we've been needing two incomes for a while now.

I'm writing a script starting next week. That's a huge change! One I'm welcoming and excited about. I've decided on an original story and we'll see how it turns out, crossing from novel to screenplay in a matter of 30 days.

My other writing is changing as well. I've made strides in that I realize I've been holding myself back for fear of being misunderstood. For the fear of no one "getting" it and it never getting out there on the shelves. But a decision based on fear is never the right decision. Over the next 30 days I'll be wide open, letting it all pour out, being held together by this new structure called "script".

"The birds are molting. If only man could molt also -
his mind once a year its errors, his heart once a year
its useless passions." ~ James Allen

Perhaps this quote sums up what I'm feeling lately. Ever feel like you could crawl out of your skin? That's how I've felt for years. It's been building and building until recently I've just wanted to scream! Claw my skin until I am able to shed it like a snake. Problem: shedding skin takes away the protective layer that's built up callouses and been hardened to weather and work. Tender new growth is painful and sensitive and not in the mood to be stretched. And dear friends, I am being stretched.

But it's good. Very good. It has been a long time coming. The only way for it to be implemented is to focus, to cast off the distraction and run my race no matter how painful it may be to begin with. I need discipline to recover my passion for writing and for creating, something that has been sorely missed for several years now. And the only way I know how to do it is to take a break.

I know. I've taken breaks here recently. I took a long one around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Two weeks, if I remember correctly. This time, however, it's going to be a bit longer. I'm unplugging for the entire month of April. Starting Monday (the 29th of March) through the 3rd of May. I'll be back on 4 May and I'm excited to see what changes have been wrought.

I will miss you, dear friends, but this is something I must do for myself. One of my favorite scriptures is Hebrews 12:1. "Strip off every weight and encumbrance which does so easily distract and run with patient endurance and steady and active persistence the appointed course of the race that has been set before us." It has come to my attention that, despite my best efforts, I have still be trying to run someone else's race. It's so easy to do. We see other races, those that look so much better, easier, nicer than ours. We change lanes only to stumble and wonder why. The path wasn't made for you. And I'm standing on my own path again, waiting eagerly for the pistol to sound. I'll probably start at a swift walk. I've never been much of a runner. Maybe I can kayak the race sent before me?

"We all have big changes in our lives
that are more or less a second chance." ~ Harrison Ford

All I ask of you, dear friends, are your prayers while I'm reclaiming this path of mine and your smiling faces when I return! I wish you all the best of April. Happy Easter, happy spring. I'm looking forward to catching up in May. Until then, in the words of Garrison Keillor, "Be well, do good work, and keep in touch."

Vive la revolucion!
Jen

"Stand at the crossroads and look, ask for the ancient paths
and there you will find peace for your soul." ~ Jeremiah 6:16

21 comments:

Karen Walker said...

We'll miss you, Jen, but I'm glad you are taking such good care of yourself. You'll find your way back to your path.
karen

Lin said...

Aw, gees, I'm gonna miss you, Jen! I hope you will stop by once or twice just to check in--we would all like to know how things are going. I wish you luck, good work, and free-flowing words that never end!

Brian Miller said...

hope you have a great break...be intentional with your time...look forward to seeing the other side as well. smiles.

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I think this is a courageous and right decision. We'll miss you terribly, but we'll be here with happy faces when you return. I hope the break is exactly what you need. Keep us posted. :-)

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Good for you, Friend! I know I'll see you around. :0) Love you--and so excited about your script--and Jon's job!

Blondie said...

Once again you inspire me. I need to make some changes too honey and this just might be the time to do it! Kori xoxo

Kittie Howard said...

I'll miss you, Jen. I look forward to your lovely blog. However, I'm sensed for some posts that you need to molt into your new skin. I'm older and have the experience of having 'been there' and know the signs, even now, when I have to burst free and run, (er, walk, don't want a PhD in the subject) my own race. A little advice here, don't box yourself in with a definite date when you return; if you need a couple more weeks (or less), okay, not a problem. We're here. You'll know when you're wearing your new skin. It just happens. So, good luck on your journey...I'm proud of you. Hugs!

Mary Aalgaard said...

The scriptfrenzy and change and focus will do wonders. I know it will. Keep in touch via email if you like. Mine's on my profile of my blog. I look forward to what will have been born by the end of April. Clinking my coffee mug at you! Cheers!

Elana Johnson said...

Hope you have a great time stretching. We'll be here when you get back.

maggie's garden said...

Best wishes dear one...write it out...write it all out until your hearts content. Don't worry about what anyone thinks of it but you. If it pleases your heart it will please your readers hearts.
xoxo

Elizabeth Spann Craig/Riley Adams said...

We'll be here when you get back, Jen! Best of luck with your new script. Just write it...don't worry about what people will think. Just think about the people who will LOVE it and write it for them.

Elizabeth
Mystery Writing is Murder

deb said...

Jen,

this is great news! How can it not be...

take care, and I'll be here to see what the changes bring. I'm confident they will be fabulous.

Glynis said...

Ooh Jen, go and do what you have to do. Have fun and see you in May. Happy Scribbling.

NCmountainwoman said...

Enjoy your time away from blogland. We'll be here when you return.

Mmm said...

Well I am excited for you, Jen. It will be good for you adn I'm excited to see what fruit it produces. you have great verses to go along with this too so just make the most of it. We'll be here watching and waiting for your return and all that unfolds after that point. you are a blessing.

Congrats on the job too though..even if not exactly what would be preferred.

雅芳 said...

may the blessing be with you.........................................

Christine Danek said...

Take care and good luck!

Dawn Simon said...

Enjoy your break! We'll see you when you return. :)

柏辰 said...

過去的事早已消失,未來的事更渺不可知,只有現在是真實的........................................

羅惠玲 said...

河水永遠是相同的,可是每一剎那又都是新的。......................................................

Anastasia said...

I hope you come back soon. I gave you an award! You have to come accept it. I hope everything's well.

http://sweetbutterbliss.blogspot.com/2010/04/girls-in-white-dresses-with-blue-satin.html