Pages

11 May 2010

Why all the changes?

Change is good. At least, that's what I hear. I'd have to agree, considering I'm the type of person who moves just because she wants a different view, who is ready for another job after a year and a half (tops), and thinks the idea of living in another country is perhaps the most exciting thing ever.

Maybe it's just in my blood to crave change. Hence the blog. It looks different. It feels different. I'm happy with that. It even has a different name. Why? Well, honestly, I LOVE the word Woolgathering. I do. It means and indulgence in daydreams. Master Webster does describe it more as an unhealthy attachment to daydreams, but it's my blog so I tweaked it. However...it sounded so disjointed. Very up in the air. Woolgathering. Whatever, whenever, however. I like that. Spontaneity. Devil may care. What if?

That's all well and good except I felt disjointed. I felt no sense, no rhyme or reason. I'm not looking to create a regimented blog that posts Monday - Friday at precisely 10 o'clock. Um, that would be a bit predictable, don't you think? What I realized I lacked was direction. I was floundering, you see, to come up with fabulous writing links, witty repartee about the act of creating disobedient characters, and brilliant musings on the writer's life. That's a lot of pressure. Oh I have a nasty habit of putting too much pressure on myself.

Consider this change of plans a new mode of blog transportation. A way for me to reflect on life, not just writing, but all aspects of life. We are, after all, more than just pens and ink, more than just that which we craft. And that's a very good thing. We need multiple dimensions. That's how we gather friends, how we relate to so many different people on this fabulously diverse planet we live on.

I want to try new things, new adventures, even if they only take place in my kitchen or in the park two blocks away from my front door. I want to experiment with new art forms, find my niche, and let it grow. And I want to continue writing and word-crafting and getting feedback from you wonderful readers. Not to mention I want to continue reading your amazing posts. Truly, they touch me. I hope I convey that often.

Have a blessed day. If any of you have been touched by the flooding or the tornadoes or the oil spill of late, my prayers are with you and your families.

Cheers,
Jen

13 comments:

Brian Miller said...

sounds like a good enough reason for me...enjoy those new adventures. smiles.

Karen Walker said...

Jen, love the look and feel of your new direction. Frankly, I get tired of all the writers who only blog about writing. Helpful as the posts are, I like to know more about the person and their life. So yippee. Can't wait.
Karen

maggie's garden said...

I'm with Karen on this one...love love love the look of the new blog, and totally dig your new direction. Somehow I think a writer has a lot more to offer us when they are more in touch with the world around them, and not afraid to share their experiences with us.

Erin Kuhns said...

I love what you've done with your blog, Jen. And by the way--the word "floundering"? I was wondering if I may borrow it for a bit. I have a feeling it will fit me perfectly with what I am wearing.

Peace,
Erin

Jennifer Shirk said...

Change is good for the soul. Love the new look. :)

Kristi said...

I love your changes! And your posts...they are always so beautiful and moving.

Best of luck with everything...and keep us posted!

Mary Aalgaard said...

It's all good. Love your openness to change and experimenting with new things - art forms. I feel like I'm in a stage of life where I'm letting go of the old, making room for something new. I'm "Playing off the Page," in many areas, and it feels so good.
Blessings and hugs! (I'm taking a little trip this weekend, more wing-spreading.)

DL Hammons said...

"A new mode of blog transportation".

Classic! Love the idea.

littlehousesouthernprairie said...

it's all like that sheryl crow song. a change will do you good!

Kittie Howard said...

Oh, Jen, your new blog look is fabulous. I feel the freedom!! And, yes, if you can find a way to go overseas, go, enjoy the adventure. My hub and I are going to Italy and Greece this summer, will have to backpack it a bit in Western Greece...delicious!! You're not floundering, Jen, you're taking baby steps into the next phase of your life. Soon you'll run like the wind...I'm sooo happy for you!!

Glynis said...

Good for you Jen! Changes stimulate our brains, and that cannot be a bad thing.

Enjoy your blogging days. :)

deb said...

I think this way of yours, this voice,
will suit me just fine.
if that matters.

deb said...

I think this way of yours, this voice,
will suit me just fine.
if that matters.