Pages

14 June 2010

Addictions

Addictions are funny. They can be disastrous, frightening, or down right weird. I think mine fall somewhere between quirky and strange. Borderline geek, that's me. I'm always interested in what others are addicted to. I'm not talking about Prozac or Jack and Coke here. I'm talking those little (or not so little things) that consume you.

Anyone who knows me (or who has ever been to our loft), knows I love books. I'm addicted to them. They follow me home from book stores, yard sales, thrift stores, my mom's house. If there's a book in need of a home, I'm sure I'll find a way to adopt it. I call them my children. They are many. At last count, I think I numbered upwards of 800.

Paper is another love of mine. Especially handmade paper. Old paper, found in old books (antique book store is a double dose of goodness). I love the way it feels, the way it smells, the sound of a pen etching it's clear face with pimples of words and sketches. They laugh at me at work because I take all my notes via notepad, still use sticky notes, and think the iPad is an overgrown iPod touch. I work for an I.T. company. Hence the laughing. At least when the power goes out, I still have something to occupy my time.

The ocean would definitely be one of my addictions. Salt water, salt air, the freedom that the seaside inspires. The goal, dear friends, is the live within walking distance of the sea. That is a work in progress, but my eye is on the prize.

Last but not least, Star Wars. Old school. Episodes 4, 5 & 6. TOTAL Star Wars geek here. I've been watching them for the past few weeks. I'll just pop them in and let 'em go. I don't have to sit and watch them (I know them by heart). I just like to have something going while I work around the house and the comfort of my childhood is piped out of the speakers through those films.

Our addictions define us, shape us. In the instance of things we love (collect, hoard, seek out), this can be a good thing. It can also help us in discovering our writing voice. The things we love are our roots. They ground us. You hear it said (too often) to write what you know. Why not take the things you're passionate about and see what fictional fodder can be found. Judging by what I've listed, I could write a science fiction tale of a book loving writer who lives by the sea. Or under it, Captain Nemo style. Or on another planet. Hmmm, there's a story even in my addictions it seems.

What are you addicted too? Have you ever written a story based on your addictions? What about a character with similar passions?

15 comments:

Karen Walker said...

Oh, great topic, Jen. I'm addicted to reading, singing, folk dancing, writing, talking with friends and chocolate, altho I can't eat it anymore cause of acid reflux. Sigh!
Karen

Brian Miller said...

we have created a slight star wars addiction at our house...we finally beat star wars lego this morning...yeah we got it bad...


books are another...i have boxes and boxes...love going and finding an old favorite and sitting back to enjoy...

coffee...bad!

Betsy said...

antique jewelry, coffee, chocolate, the ocean, like you ....I only get there every 2 years but soak it up like a long, lost friend!

blogging...LOL!

maggie's garden said...

BLOGGING! It's all consuming and I love it because it bumps me into wonderful people like you.
The word verification came up epreso which reminded me about my other addiction...Starbucks.
Happy days!

Tabitha Bird said...

Addictions? Yes, I have few. I don't know what I'd do without boxing running and all my books.
I too love paper!

Mary Aalgaard said...

COFFEE! And, like you, paper, cool paper that looks like flowers have been pressedin, or the fibers are vivid, or the patterns are unusual. I use them to make journals. I like all kinds of journals. Also, warm baths, chocolate, and reading before I go to sleep. Oh, and playing the piano.

SadeRa盈君iford0412 said...

淫亂淫婦淫妹淫叫淫水淫女情慾情色做愛限制級波霸口交18禁貼圖寫真視訊援交露點爆乳潮吹裸體裸照裸女愛愛無碼尋夢視訊聊天a漫a片a圖一夜情一葉情人妻激情

Lin said...

I'm with you on papers, but I also have a thing for fabric and yarns as well. I'm very tactile and I will save fabric that I love--just because I love it. You'd think I'd quilt it, but alas, it sits in my fabric stash forever. Dumb, I know.

Jon said...

I guess you could say I'm slightly addicted to technology.
"I still love technology, but not as much as you, you see... but I still love technology... always and forever."
Besides that, ummmm... Chocolate and the beach. So, I guess my story would be about a chocolate computer that hung out on the beach all day. Not sure how he would keep from melting though. See, this is why I'm not a writer. :)

Erin Kuhns said...

Although I'm just at the beginning of it, I do recommend you read the book "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon. I believe the main character might simply be a version of you...

Addictions? My animals. I miss my dogs and cats too much when I'm away. They bring me so much joy and comfort. They are my best friends.

Anastasia said...

I agree about books. I love used ones the best. When you find other peoples notes in the margins or reciepts or things inside them. Love it.

Linda Myers said...

Books, travel, and (I'm so embarrassed) Farmville on Facebook.

OceanDreams said...

Hi Jen, thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I'm loving yours and boy do I have addictions, lol, I most definitely love books, yoga, nature, and gummy bears to name a few! Have a great day.

deb said...

great thought provoking posts, Jen.

I may be addicted to reading life changing sentences in books, enjoying a glass of red wine with my husband under the stars on a summer night, my children's laughter, and spring.

prashant said...

love going and finding an old favorite and sitting back to enjoy...
Contextual Ad Network India