Pages

09 June 2010

Adventures in Savasana

Savasana: corpse pose. Easy, relaxing, anyone can do it. You lay flat on your back, on your cozy yoga mat, let your arms and legs turn out naturally and allow your entire body to relax. Aaaahhhh.

Right.

I set the timer for 10 minutes yesterday afternoon. My cat was already in his own version of Savasana (also what I call the "pet my belly" pose) so I pulled ye olde purple yoga mat up beside him and laid down gently. It was working. I was "relaxing into the floor" as we're told to do, letting everything fall downward, releasing tension. Then I heard a strange sound behind me, a soft clicking. I bent my head backwards to look and saw my cat run over to the pantry door. He sniffed and snuffled and looked at me. It was the cat equivalent of a shrug. I shrugged back and returned to my yoga.

"It was the plastic bottle I just put in the recycling bag, Colby," I told him. He came and sat back beside me. Not a minute later, I opened my eyes on a whim, and there above me, on the ceiling, was a palmetto bug (also known as a huge, disgusting, flying roach). Nice, I thought, as it scuttled above me. Suddenly, it didn't look so sturdy and the thought of a huge palmetto in my hair was NOT very relaxing. I leaped off the mat just as said bug slipped from the ceiling and fluttered (yes, fluttered) down to the floor.

Colby sprang into "croc hunter" action and went after it, chasing it behind the chair. I flat refuse to step on anything larger than my thumb nail so off I ran to the hall closet to obtain my bug weapon of mass destruction: all purpose cleaner.

"Where did it go, Colby?"

He pawed behind the chair.

"Chase it out, boy."

Behind the chair goes the cat, out comes the palmetto. Bleck!

"Stop, Colby! I don't want to spray you."

The cat stops, and I spray that sucker to kingdom come.

The cat is praised, the roach is dead, the timer goes off. All in all, a good yoga session :)

10 comments:

Together We Save said...

Oh my!!

Erin Kuhns said...

LMAO!!! That's hilarious! Jen, you could write a book with these things. "Colby and Me" - it'd be a bigger seller than "Marley and Me"!!!

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

When I lived in the roach infested state of Texas, I, too, counted on my kitty for extermination services.

Fun read!

Brian Miller said...

ha. i wish my meditation was as much fun...

Flora said...

Jen, I had a similar feline (plus canine) experience during my yoga today - also corpse position.

My cat right away started kneading my hair, purring loudly and then standing on my arm.

Then the dog started talking.

I think they really love the yoga vibe.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Sounds relaxing! Ha!

Tabitha Bird said...

Sounds like my life. LOL

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

I would have run out of the house. Your cat is a hero!

Gwen Stewart said...

Some relaxation that was, Jen! :) I loved that story. It made me smile!

Hope you grab some downtime soon...

prashant said...

counted on my kitty for extermination services.
Contextual Ad Network India