Pages

08 June 2010

Day One


Do you ever stop and think, "I don't need this added stress?"

Do you ever sign up for something and then immediately regret it?

I do. All the time. Why? Perhaps I have decision making issues. Perhaps I'm scared. Perhaps it's a bit of both.

I felt that way about the 21*5*800 Challenge. I signed up Friday. I blogged about it yesterday. Last night I thought, "This is crazy. You never finish these things. Why bother doing another?"

And this morning, I wrote 1100 + words. The most I've written in one sitting (aside from emails and blog posts) in a very long time. I'm going to be gentle with myself. My body is demanding it and I am finally listening. I'll be writing stream of consciousness style for these 21 days. I won't post the entire piece (stream of consciousness is never pretty) but I may post a few glimmers along the way. As for the yoga part, I'll be doing mostly Savasana. As I said, my body is demanding I be gentle with it. I've gone against that before (read: most of my life). It's not very smart to deny yourself rest when your body is begging for it. Not smart at all.

As I was spurting out words this afternoon, I began to feel a lightening in my spirit. I've carried so much junk around with me for so long: fear, confusion, double-mindedness. The book of James likens a double-minded man as being tossed "to and fro upon the waves". That's how I feel. Back and forth, back and forth, up and down, in and out. Inside out. Perhaps now I'm willing to listen. Or perhaps the stream of consciousness won't allow my inner critic the chance to edit and, you know, critique! That's a good thing. I got some things out on the table. I may work with it some more. Maybe a poem's hiding in there. Who knows?

Have you ever tried stream of consciousness writing? Did you end up with anything other than pages full of typos? Just curious.

Cheers,
Jen

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice. sounds like you are off to a great start...and sounds healthy too as you are unloading...

Shannon O'Donnell said...

I always feel like stream of consciousness writing = crap, but when I read it, it often surprises me. :-)

maggie's garden said...

I've never taken on this kind of challenge and give you lots of credit for venturing out and trying something new.
Although I like to write (poorly I suppose)...I've never thought of becoming a writer. Even though my close friends tell me that my life story would make quite a book. I did pick up a book by Caroline Sharp called A Writer's Workbook (daily exercises for the writing life). It's been fun doing some of these before writing in my personal journal. But adding physical exercise to this would be way over the top for me. I figure I get enough exercise in the garden.
Hope you enjoy what you've taken on...and don't be too hard on yourself if you finish less than you set out for. We'll all love you anyway! Happy writing!

Flora said...

Hello. I'm with you on all counts! I just dived in and immediately started fretting about my lack of follow through, ability to sabotage and between one thing and another - quite a lot of material to write about over the next 21 days! LOL

I love stream of consciousness writing. I absolutely adore it. It is like channeling or freewheeling. It's liberating and lovely.

Jen Chandler said...

Hey guys! Thanks for the encouragement and the kind thoughts! Be Kind to Yourself...that seems to be the motto my life is sending me.

deb said...

Oh , I like the sounds of this.
You are so intentional and motivating.

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

A hearty “Yes!” to both of your questions. What seems like a great idea at the time often doesn’t seem so great the following day. Good for you for at least attempting such a challenge. I’ve used stream of consciousness for my characters thoughts but never tried writing that way just to get the words down on paper. It seems like a good idea.

By the way, knowing each class ends with Savasana is what keeps me going to yoga!

Betsy said...

Hey, this time it turned out to be a good thing! :) I always say 'no'...I hate added stress! LOL!

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow, that's great! I'm so glad it's working for you!

prashant said...

sounds healthy too as you are unloading.
Contextual Ad Network India