Pages

09 July 2010

Thoughts on Ender's Game

To watch the peculiar life of Ender Wiggin unfold, is to bear witness to an extraordinary tale. There are moments that necessitate a gasp or an exclamation. My emotions were tethered to this prodigy, this very human child. It was as if I was not reading one of the most spectacular words of fiction to ever cross my imagination, but an actual account of a life lived. Not lived -past tense- but "lived", future tense, as a beacon, a shimmer, a warning.

If you've not read this book, you're in for a treat. It's one of the best stories I've ever read. My view of "story" has been altered. There are precious few books that can do that. Kudos to you, Mr. Card, for broadening my horizons and deepening my appreciation for a well crafted story. And for making me realize how much work I have ahead of me.

What cool, new books have YOU read?

Happy Friday, everyone!
Jen

8 comments:

Mary Aalgaard said...

Thanks for the recommendation!

nineteen said...

Haven't read it..
but I just finished Barbara Kingsolver's Homeland and other Stories.
It too was one of those goose bump things. I am forever changed as a reader and a wanna be writer.

deb said...

oops, that's my daughter's acct ,
it's me, deb

Brian Miller said...

enders game is great...there are a couple core books in that series that are phenomenal...if you are looking for short stories....Thriller 2...is amazing!

吳婷婷 said...

Offence is the best defence.............................................................

Lia Victoria said...

I've heard of Ender's Game before, but never thought to pick it up. Thanks for the eloquent rec!

玉婷良DGFHFJ瑋黃吳 said...

喜歡看大家的文章,每篇都是一個故事,都是一種心情~~祝大家開心愉快............................................................

Sandra said...

The Mercy Seller by Brenda Rickman Vantrease is my current read. I started Pillars of the Earth but hit a rough patch and didn't finish; will, hopefully, find it at a thrift store and read at my leisure...eventually. I've not heard of Ender's Game; thanks for the recommendation.