Pages

02 August 2010

into the great wide open


Know what I love about blogging? It can be anything you want it to be. Your blog can change with you. Feeling blue? There's a background for that. Want to write about East Indian flora? There's clip art for that too. Amazing.

I love how most of you have blogs that are set. I know what to expect when I visit. It's like going home. Even if you write something completely unexpected it's, well, it's expected! Even if the background changes and the font goes from blue to bronze, I know it's you and I thank you.

I fear my blog hasn't been much of a constant lately. More like a spiraling abyss of jumbled adjectives and attempts to explain away those blunders with mountains of apologies that do not (I fear) make for enjoyable bloggy reading). I blame many factors, none of which I'll bore you with here. That being said, there has been one constant: the search for authenticity.

As writers, we strive for voice, for style, for that "something" that makes our words our own. That snazzy little turn of phrase that gives our readers the satisfaction that this article, this post, this book does, indeed, come from our fingers. From the tangled web of pronouns and gerunds our light shines on paper and screen for our readers, old and new. And they KNOW it's ours, even without a byline.

Authenticity. Real. The age old question, "Who am I?" I had no idea when I started blogging it would turn into a soul searching expedition requiring crampons and pickaxes. It seems my head lamp has run out of batteries but I do have a few candle stubs around here somewhere....

Thankfully, the end of the tunnel is in sight. If this place starts looking like a caved in cavern, I apologize. It's just because I'm digging my way out into the light. Ever since this chronic illness decided to move into the spare room, I've been doing a lot of rearranging. It's backbreaking and exhausting. I have no intention of letting this illness get the best of me, but I will say this: good comes sometimes from the darkest of situations.

I'm looking forward to getting this blog in order, my writing, my life. There are changes coming, some more immediate than others, and I can't wait to share them with you, right here. I'm leaving for good, just long enough to do a little more tweaking, a bit more remodeling. The paint and curtains are all wrong and I'm going to rework the decor...again.

Thank you for your patience. I know this summer has been busy for everyone. I hope things are slowing down for you all, that the heat isn't taking too much out of you, and that fall will come soon, softly, with much needed relief.

I haven't been around much, but I wanted to let you know I'm planning to return in September. Every year, I hit a snag around August that is only cured by that chill in the air that says fall is near at hand.

Take care of yourselves and if you see anything weird around here in the next few weeks, don't be alarmed. It's just me, clearing out the rubble.

~ Jen

10 comments:

Wendy Paine Miller said...

Can't wait to see the upcoming changes. I'll hang in w/ you b/c I like your style.
~ Wendy

Brian Miller said...

then we have september to look forward to...take care of you and will be here when the time comes. smiles.

Karen Walker said...

Looking forward to the changes. Yes, take care of you, Jen. That is the most important thing.
Karen

Mary Aalgaard said...

It seems that you are embracing YOU. I like your new profile pic. And, I'm also reading Eat, Pray, Love right now. Just finished the "Pray" section last night. I thought I was the last woman on the planet to read it.

Jennifer said...

I like the layout. (I didn't notice a change before, my bad.)

Looking forward to what you have in store come September. :)

Lin said...

Oh, have you ever noticed a house under construction or during a makeover?? Well, that can be your excuse--you are in makeover stage.

Sometimes I get tired of my blog looking the same, but I don't have time to mess with layout and design right now and the message is more important to me at the moment. I need stability one place and that is it.

We all go through phases. :)

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

I love that you experiment with your space--that you're evolving and developing. I think I've been by here enough to say that I recognize your voice, not only that, I enjoy its cadence.

I'm working on some changes myself...just not sure how or when they'll come to fruition....maybe that's some of the joy :)

deb said...

Love love your new photo Jen.
Although you know how I was so taken by the other.

I am looking forward to the fall and some subtle changes. Especially with 3 adult children heading back to school :)

take care....

Glynis said...

Jen enjoy your changes. A change is as good a rest. :)

maggie's garden said...

Looking forward to September!

Funny...the wv for this comment is stici....sticky...and it has been this August. Another reason to look forward to September.