Pages

01 September 2010

...and don't forget to pack clean underwear.

A good traveller packs light, remembers to call home and always forgets something of importance. (And always eats what the locals are having...even if it's still squirming.)

The most intoxicating aspect of virtual travel (or getting out and exploring your own community) is no fear of forgetting your toothbrush and having to settle for some exotic plant that may or may not be toxic. True, your job's still there (lurking), and your phone and the 1001 stresses of everyday life, but it's virtually free and that's got to count for something!

I know lots of people who long to travel but can't. The biggest barrier to indulging your inner gypsy, is seems, is money. That's always been mine. If it was up to me, I'd travel 3-5 months out of the year! So I cooked up this idea and I hope you'll follow along. I can't promise we won't hit any turbulence, and I can almost guarantee there will be pot holes, but I figure in a couple of months we'll settle into a nice rhythm. Or not. Who knows? Predictability is frightfully boring.

The goal isn't to stay in front of a computer. Oh no. I'll be venturing to the kitchen and into the wilds of ethnic restaurants and markets. I might even learn a foreign phrase or three! And yes, there will be recipes, pictures (I hope...), and my own humble reviews.

Before I get started, I do want to say that if any of you catch any discrepancies in any cultural descriptions or information I may post, please let me know! The Internet may have an eternal cache of information, but it's not infallible. I'm always open to constructive criticisms and corrections (the key word here, folks, is constructive). I'm not big on posting blog "rules" but here goes: be kind or go home. It's that simple. No culture bashing, people bashing, me bashing. If you feel you must be mean, just know it won't be published. I do have that power.

Ick. Glad that's out of the way.

Anywho, this is a practical journey, one lived vicariously through information and tasting. Cultural discovery through food; travelling through taste buds. Culinary Vagabonding. In getting out there and learning about cultures foreign to my own, I hope to get lost: lost to myself, to my own preconceived notions, my own cultural limitations. I hope to meet people, cook meals and understand through the shared needs to communicate, feast and express beauty. I'll be collecting far more than I can post on this little journey but do stay tuned: there are more kettles brewing on the stove than just this one. How's that for a teaser, hmmm?

Now then, pack your bags, ladies and gents. We're off to CHINA!

6 comments:

Erin Kuhns said...

"Predictability is frightfully boring." - You said it, sista!

I'm so excited for this journey! I'm really looking forward to this. I've never been to China and this is as close as I'll ever come, so I'm looking forward to reading about your own virtual trip!

Safe travels!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Ooo. China. I'm ready. I love this line the best, travelling through tastebuds. They're ready and waiting. Drip (that was my salivating).

Kittie Howard said...

Jen, I've never been to China, Hong Kong a bunch of times, but never the Mainland and am sooo looking forward to our trip. And, I've got to say that today's post really set the mood for a super trip. You've got me hungry to learn. (Well, I'm also flat hungry right now, gonna get my chopsticks ready.)

Brian Miller said...

sweet...looking forward to seeing where you take us!

Elana Johnson said...

Yes, I'm poor. Can't wait for the slow boat to China!! I'm packed!

Jennifer said...

Can't wait to see what you've got cooked up.

If I can, I might just follow you on this little journey. :)