Pages

20 September 2010

I heart bread

I love bread. I really ,really do. I inherited it, you see. From my mother. She loves to tell this story of when she used to work and stop on the way home for groceries. She would buy a loaf of bread and start eating it on her way home, tearing little bits from a slice, rolling it into a ball and nibbling until she pulled into the drive. My sister and I both inherited this love of yeast and flour.

I found several recipes this weekend for Chinese bread, or, as they call them, buns! My favorite is by far the coconut dinner buns I found here. I'll definitely be making these this week. Expect another photo montage of my efforts (exciting, I know).

You know those little fried donuts you find at all Chinese buffets? I found a recipe for those too! Oh yum, fried donuts. Lovely, melty, greasy puffs of sweetness! I'll be trying those too. (Oh, and there's a short cut version on that site as well made with canned biscuit dough, in case you're prone to that sort of thing).

I indulged in my dream this weekend and walked to the Chines restaurant for wonton soup, crab rangoon and a spring roll. Can I just say yum? It was fabulous and the crab rangoon was some of the best I've ever had. That reminds me...I still have three in the fridge. Hmmm...I know what I'm snacking on when I get home :)

Happy Monday fellow vagabloggers!
Jen

7 comments:

My Farmhouse Kitchen said...

oh me too...we just finished toasted gruyere and tomato sandwhices on san francisco sourdough....i usually am not that fond of sourdough...but this was GOOD !!!

making dilly bread this afternoon...

aaahhhh...bread :-)

kary and teddy

Jon said...

Looks like we're going to have to make some bread sometime this week now... Mmmmmmm...

deb said...

Bread is heavenly .
I so wish it didn't bother me.. most of the gluten free types are not the same at all.

Brian Miller said...

nice. many times we make a dicision about a restaurant based solely on their bread...no kidding...chinese donuts...oh my stomach hurts just thinking abou them...smiles.

Lin said...

I'm a bread girl too, Jen. I can totally pass on sweets, but bread is my weakness. YUM!

Kristi said...

I'm suddenly hungry! I too am a bread girl...love it all, which is sometimes unfortunate for the diet. ;-)

Sandra said...

Bread, wine, cheese, olives, chocolate and water...life!