Pages

01 September 2010

Junk Boats and Boiled Dumplings

image found here

There's a piece of me slowly sailing on a junk ship. You know, one of those over crowded mish-mashes of flotsam that traffic jam the water ways in many Asian countries. My soul tip-toed on one this morning and refuses to get off. Sails unfurled like paper fans, the breeze is caught and on we drift, in search of another life and, perhaps, dinner.

The mountains, don't they look like finger stubs, parts of hands? Long ago, giants must have resided here. After tiring of kicking up crust and creating Himalayas, they settled down beneath the waves, giving their work a hearty "two thumbs way up". Now we get to navigate them. Sometimes I swear I hear them laughing at me, this lanky American far from home.

The clacking of my keys is an imagined engine. At least, I'm pretty sure they have engines. Most are too large for a paddler or ten. Last I checked, Ben Hur wasn't stowed away underneath. Another clacking sound comes to mind. Chop sticks, those precarious little overgrown toothpicks that, once mastered, open doors to culinary experience (and one or two gasps of amazement when you're the only one at the table able to maneuver them around a Pu Pu Platter).

Speaking of food, I'm in the mood for dumplings. Boiled dumplings: Jiao Zi. Sure, I've made fried rice before. I've even folded a wanton or three in my day. But dumplings? Hmmm...this I've got to try. Interested?

The kitchen is open and I'm off to experiment. Good Lord willing and the river don't rise (or the giants return to play kick the junk boat), I'll have a platter of them all piping hot come tomorrow morning to share with you.

Mmm...dumplings.
Jen

PS: Check this out: I figured out to attach my snazzy little Facebook profile link to my blog. How's that for technological prowess? Honestly, I'm impressed. I didn't shut down the Internet or anything!

10 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Jen, this is great! You've got me on board, feeling the breeze, thinking about dinner. You're the captain of a ship (well, okay, a lovely junk boat) going places.

Erin Kuhns said...

1) Totally impressed with you for not stopping the interweb in its tracks.

2) Mmmmm...dumplings...

3) I really do love the way you write.

4) Mmmmm...dumplings...

Kristi said...

I've missed reading your beautiful writing...it sure is nice to be back in the blogging world again! You have such a way with words...and food. Love the picture.

Enjoy your dumplings! ;-)

Brian Miller said...

nice write jen...so we are going to get a look at these tomorrow?

Linda Myers said...

Picture looks like Ha Long Bay in north Vietnam. The day we were there we jumped into the water for a swim.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Great imagination with the Giant's big thumbs up. I'm on board for dumplings, too. Bring it on - full steam ahead!

maggie's garden said...

You really can write! The dumplings look yummy. This is so much fun. I think I'll use a fork instead of chop sticks though. ha!

ali said...

Your back! And what a gorgeous and super-neat blog you've got going on here! Can't wait to see where your journey takes you!

Sandra said...

WOW! You're doing well to suss out the FB button; very impressive. Any time I figure out the slightest thing on the computer, I feel like applying for MENSA -smile.

Jen Chandler said...

I may have replied to some of you via email and it may (or may not) have gone to the wrong place. If so, I'm sorry! My gmail is being crazy. More glitches...

Sorry!
Jen