Pages

24 September 2010

Mental Filter Busted

Proceed with extreme caution. Author has not had much sleep or chocolate in the past 14 days. Her appropriate blog material filter is busted.

You know, the filter that tells you "don't post that! it's disgusting/irresponsible/not suitable for children under the age of 115". Yeah...that one.

On the agenda for the weekend: Coconut dinner buns!!
So, I haven't made any of the delicious bread I posted Tuesday. I've thought about it (though not dreamed about it) and have decided that this weekend I shall bake me some buns! (why does that make me giggle?)

As I was pondering some bun baking last night, I realized that next week is our last week in China! Honestly, I've not done as much as I'd wanted to with the first month of this blog, but I consider the first month of anything a learning phase. I know what works, what doesn't, what I'm going to have time to do, and what is simply me wishing I was Wonder Woman. The upside, however, is that I've learned a lot about Chinese food, found a library of links on China and Chinese culture (for further perusal on a rainy day) AND I've eaten more fried rice in the past four weeks than in the past four YEARS!

Thank you all for putting up with my erratic posts and even stranger personality :)

Seeing as it's Friday (*cue the trumpets, marching band and juggling elephants*), I wanted to do something fun. And what's more fun than

WEIRD FOOD

Have you ever Googled "weird food"? It's a lesson in what the Internet can produce. It's also a reminder of how thankful I am that I inherited my father's iron stomach.

Things weren't too bad at first:
fish head soup
fish flotation bladder
live shrimp swimming in a bowl of rice wine
birds' nest soup (actual birds' nests kept tightly woven by the little birdies' spit)
jellied blood
camel tendons
baby mouse wine (a bottle of wine with baby mice stuffed inside. Ew.)
(all of these are courtesy of weird-food.com)

I also saw scorpions, cow heads, unmentionable parts of male bulls. But the thing that did me in was this:



photo found HERE

Deep. Fried. Spider.

Ok, so it was found in Cambodia. Not China, but still an Asian food that popped up in the Google search of "Weird food China" (oh, ps: DON'T click on the image tab if you Google weird food. Of course, now that I've told you not to, you're going too *insert evil grin*. Seriously, though, it's not something you want to look at if you're even the least big queasy. I'm not and it was a bit...gruesome. Interesting to my bizarre (and slightly twisted) curiosity, but it could do damage to young minds (or anyone eating anything that remotely could be mistaken for giant, hopping spider/bugs...

Yeah.

Fried spider. What possessed me to even put the picture on my blog? Shock factor. I am a very adventurous eater yet severely arachnophobic. I just don't know if I could do it. I think I may have met my culinary Waterloo.

But, it's Friday, and I wouldn't DREAM of leaving on the notion of fried spiders and six legged cows (wait, did I fail to mention THAT picture? *shudder*)



photo found HERE

There. Now we can all die happy and slightly less disturbed.

Happy weekend!
Go eat something adventurous! You can thank me later ;)
Jen

PS: I WILL make coconut buns this weekend. I WILL! And I shall post pictures for you next week. Promise ;)
PPS: I have 133 followers!!! Thanks, guys! Bear with me; I'll be by to thank you new-comers as soon as I'm able.

6 comments:

Shannon O'Donnell said...

OMG! I am SO going to have nightmares from that deep fried spider photo - and the thoght that someone, somewhere actually EATS those!! Ugh!

Tere Kirkland said...

Mmm, coconut buns!

There's a huge Vietnamese population here in New Orleans, and I've acquired a taste for some things that sound horrible, like tripe pho, but are really delicious! (If a little chewy. ;D )

I would try the spiders. A little one. I bet they taste like softshell crab.

Kittie Howard said...

Jen, one airport shop in Vietnam sold bottles of weird stuff pickled, each in colorful water. Since orange is an elevated color in Asia, many of the bottles had orange liquids. I could only eat fried spiders if I faced starvation. However, my hub's tasted them and said it wasn't bad at all. *insert shudder*

Brian Miller said...

i might actually try one of those spiders...its fried...how bad could it be...smiles.

Anastasia said...

I love tare panda. I want that cake for my birthday.

Lin said...

Yeah, I'll take the happy panda cake over the spiders any day! Ewwwwww!