Pages

28 September 2010

There will be BUNS

Yes my friends, there will be. Just as soon as I post this teensy update!
The blogfest was a SMASH hit!! I've met so many fabulously talented bloggers/writers already and I still have over half the list of participants to go! It may take me the rest of the week, but I'll make it by. I shall! And I'll bring coconut :)

(The blogfest is officially over, but you can still read all the posts! Get in on the hooplah HERE.)

Now then, coconut buns. Or, more professionally, Cocktail Buns (pay no attention to the photo in the upper left hand corner of the original recipe site. Mine look nothing like that. Mine are more compact and portable! Pocket-sized, for your convenience.)

First off, you need to make your dough which is super easy and gives plenty of time for other pursuits as it rises. Like house cleaning, novel reading, a rousing game of mahjong.... (original recipe HERE)

You'll need:

•1/3 cup very warm water
•1 teaspoon granulated sugar
•2 teaspoons active dry yeast
•1/3 cup granulated sugar
•1/2 teaspoon salt
•3 tablespoons cooking oil (I used vegetable oil)
•1/4 cup boiling water
•1 large egg, fork-beaten
•Approximately 2 1/4 cups white bread flour

Stir warm water and first amount of sugar in small dish until sugar is dissolved. Sprinkle yeast over top and let it stand for ten minutes. Stir to help the yeast dissolve.



Stir the second amount of sugar, salt and cooking oil in large bowl. Add your boiling water and stir until sugar is dissolved. Stir in the egg and the yeast mixture.





Slowly work in enough flour until soft dough forms. I worked my flour in a half cup at a time and ended up adding the remaining 1/4 as I was kneading.





Turn out onto lightly floured surface. The original instructions say to knead for 10 minutes but mine was ready in about 5. You want it to be smooth and elastic but don't over work it. Place the dough in large greased bowl, turning once to grease top.





Cover with greased waxed paper and tea towel. Let stand in oven with light on and door closed for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until doubled in bulk. (I'm not sure of the significance of the turned on oven light but at least you'll know the dough won't have to sit in the dark. Alone.) Punch the dough down, re-cover and let rest for 5 minutes.



(as you can see, I took the suggestion of a tea towel quite literally)

While the dough is resting, it's time to make the coconut filling (and preheat that oven to 350 degrees!):

•1 1/3 cups coconut flakes
•1 tablespoon granulated sugar
•2 tablespoons margarine or butter, melted
•1 large egg yolk

And the lovely egg and honey washes for the finished buns:

•Egg Wash:

•1 large egg
•1 tablespoon water
•Honey Wash:

•1 tablespoon honey
•1 tablespoon water

Process coconut and sugar in blender or food processor until very fine. Dump into a small bowl.



Stir in the melted butter (or margarine) and the egg yolk until it's got a paste-like consistency. I ended up using my hands for this. The recipe said it makes 2/3 cup of filling but I ended up with more. This isn't a bad thing :). The original recipe also only calls for half of the dough recipe. THIS I did not read prior to making. So, instead of 6 cocktail buns, I made 11. See. I told you having more than 2/3 cup of filling wasn't a bad thing :) I stretched it to fill almost a dozen and could have made another had I not made two of them rather plump!



Divide the dough into 11/12 portions. Press and stretch each portion into 5 X 3 inch oblong shape. It will try to shrink on you. Squish it good. Place about 1 tablespoon filling lengthwise along the center of each piece. Bring long sides up and over filling, pinching all edges together to seal.



Place, seam-side down, on greased baking sheet. Cover with greased waxed paper and a tea towel. Let stand in oven (again, with the light on and door closed) for about 1 hour until doubled in size. Make sure you grease that waxed paper! This dough is really sticky.



For the egg wash, beat the egg and water together with a fork. Brush over the buns.

Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 15 to 18 minutes until golden brown.



For the honey wash, combine honey and hot water. Brush over warm buns. Serve warm.



Verdict:
My husband said, and I quote "These are the best rolls I've had in a very long time."

Happy baking!

12 comments:

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

Ooooh Jen, you're doing food! Yay!!!
My daughter and hubster would love this recipe. Do you have to let the boiling water cool before adding the yeast?

Jon said...

I think we need to make these at least once a week. :) Delicious!

foldingfields said...

I think your husband sold it! :) I am delighted to have found your blog--it makes me think "what the what?" but that's a good thing. coconut. yum.

Jen Chandler said...

@ foldingfields : Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad the "what the what" thinking is a good thing :)

Jennifer said...

Those look so good!

RaShelle said...

Those sound divine Jen. Don't know why, but I'm afraid of yeast. I seem to either make the water too hot or tood cold and it doesn't work for me. If you can believe it, I love to bake - cupcakes, cakes, toffee and all things chocolate and pretty - but for some reason yeast scares me.

Jen Chandler said...

RaShelle,
I totally understand! I was a bit frightened the first time I made "real" bread. But so far, no problems! I just use hot tap water and it works (so far).

Susan R. Mills said...

Holy cow! Those things look delicious. Must try to make them. Thanks for sharing the recipe. The writing compelling characters thing was awesome, wasn't it? I'm glad you stopped by and I look forward to getting to know you.

Melissa said...

Oh my. These sound/look perfectly delicious. Now I feel the strong urge to go to a bakery and have fresh buns - as lord knows I do not have the talent to make something like this.

Tiana Smith said...

Those look delicious! You make me wish that I had more time in the day for even more cooking (as if I don't already have a time management problem. lol)

paulgreci said...

You know, I do love baking when I have the time. And these look like something I'd love to make for my friends. Thanks!

Tamika: said...

Fresh bread~ yum!