Pages

09 November 2010

Candy Shop of Horrors



Hey guys!

I know, I've been AWOL for far too long. I blame stress. Sounds good, eh?

NaNo progress is up, up, UP! I topped my count at just over 11,000 words on Saturday and I've got another chapter to upload tonight. I'm hoping to get at least one more chapter done by this evening. We shall see.

I wanted to post a bit about something I saw last night. A film, to be exact, only it wasn't a "hey let's all go to the movies" type of film.

"The Candy Shop" is a thirty minute film from director Brandon McCormick and Whitestone Motion Pictures. It stars Doug Jones of Pan's Labyrinth and Hell Boy fame. It is a film made to help raise awareness of and initiate a movement to stop child sex trafficking.

Frightening statistic: Atlanta, GA (my 'hometown') is one of the TOP cities in the NATION for sex trafficking. Sadly, most people are completely unaware that this is going on practically in their backyards.

I was first introduced to this horrific "business" about four years ago. A friend mentioned that she was working with a non-profit to raise awareness of child sex trafficking. I had no idea there was an actual name to this nor did I know that it was happening in Atlanta. I guess no one thinks horrible things like this happens in their hometown.

Several years later, at a photographer event with my husband, a pair of photographers spoke on the atrocities of human trafficking.

It was not until I was in India and met a 13 year old girl that it really hit me how sickening trafficking really is.

Pinkie is a sweet heart. I didn't get to really know her while I was there because she was the oldest girl in the orphanage and was at school most of while I was with the other, younger children. Happy, healthy, and in school. That's how all 13 year olds should be, right?

Had Pinkie NOT been in the orphanage, she would most likely have been either sold into sex trafficking OR (and this really floored me) MARRIED to a man AT LEAST 50 years old!?!?!?!?!

Married.

At 13.

To some perv old enough to be her grandfather.

Shocked?

It happens every day.

Every. Single. Day.

And it's not just in India, or Bangladesh, or any number of easily brushed aside third world statistic. It's in Atlanta. Portland. New York. My hometown and possibly yours.

Check out the trailer for the film The Candy Shop. Got to the Stop The Candy Shop website to learn more. Right now, the film has only been released in Atlanta but will be submitted to several national film festivals in the coming year.

It's not often I get on my soapbox here. But I couldn't let this topic pass by without some vocalization.

If you have a child, know a child, know someone who does, or simply have a soul, WATCH THIS TRAILER, learn about child sex trafficking and what you can do to stop it.

Yes, YOU.

6 comments:

Brian Miller said...

wow. scary stuff....i support and organization that goes into the bars in thailand to rescue girls from prostitution and sex slave trade...

Blondie said...

Wow, amazing post. Sex trafficking is terrible and growing every day! Good for you on NaNoWriMo! I was going to try again this year after finishing last year, but needed a bit of a break. Hope you have a great week of writing! Kori xoxo

deb said...

some things just boggle my mind. completely.

The Golden Eagle said...

It's amazing that sex trafficking and things that like that still happen . . and right under people's noses.

Congrats on your progress with NaNo!

Sandra said...

Bless you for posting; people have no idea what's going on and, as you say, in their backyards!

Mary Aalgaard said...

It IS sickening. I think it's the worst more horrible act of evil on this Earth. God needs to move us all to do good and stop evil. Thanks for caring so much.