Pages

12 November 2010

Naan Success!

The Naan turned out fabulously! I do, however, have a few tweaks which (to me) made it better.

You do not need four and a half cups of flour! Dear Lord! There's a reason in the actual directions it says "add enough flour to make a soft dough". I started with one cup, stirred, another cup, stirred, and after the third cup was stirred in, I started kneading and added half of the fourth cup with my hands until the consistency was good. Use your own judgement in this.

Also, two TEASPOONS of garlic? For real? Come on. You couldn't even kill Edward with that amount. I added at least two TABLESPOONS and could have added more. Of course, you be the judge of the garlic in your own naan. Leave it as written if you don't like garlic. Or really love Edward.

The making of the naan turned into an entire Indian themed dinner. I even wore my punjabi pants (although I didn't think about it until I was in the kitchen and realized I'd put them on unintentionally). Dear Jon made dal makhani (black lentils to us non-hindi speaking folk) and chicken curry.

YUM.

And because I know you will all be clamoring for the recipes, here it is:

Buy a can of Jyoti brand Dal Makhani and a jar of curry and follow the instructions on the label.

Lame. I know.

But trust me when I say your kitchen will smell like India for days! And that's a very good thing indeed :)

Oh, one word of caution. We grilled the naan inside because we don't have a grill and it was rather cold. We have a cast iron stove top grill. The butter drips on the grill and causes clouds of smoke to fill up your kitchen and 20 foot high ceilings. Open the windows, turn on the fans, bundle up, and be prepared to tell the neighbors "It's alright! I'm a professional!"

Cheers!
Jen

13 comments:

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

WOOHOOO! Good to know it was a success!

I tried to make chicken curry on Monday and my apartment still smells like heaven! If only it tasted as good!

Lydia Kang said...

Hmm, I agree. The more garlic the better. Thanks again for the recipe!

Brian Miller said...

nice! glad this one was better than butter tea...smiles.

Melissa said...

THe more garlic in something the better it tastes. Obviously!!!

Good to know it was successful. I'll be sure to remember about the flour!

roxy said...

I'd take the naan over Edward if I was forced to choose. It sounds delicious, Jen! Thanks for the inspiring post, and kudos on the NaNo word count. You go, girl.

Susan R. Mills said...

Sounds yummy! I fill my house with smoke on an almost daily basis because I forget about something on the stove. :) Have a great weekend!

deb said...

oh, I am so going to make this.
love love.

(and also how you wrote it out, you sound so happy, I hope you are feeling well these days )

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Sounds amazing. I have been making yellow dal everyday for a long time, but maybe it is time to make a curry and spice up my kitchen.

Thanks for reminding me of the flavours of my country.

Mary Aalgaard said...

I tend to set off the smoke alarms in those situations, but it sounds like fun. Funny about the garlic! Some day I'll try this recipe.

Sandra said...

More garlic, please. I'm with you, there's no such thing as too much garlic.

Fickle Cattle said...

I love naan. And I think that there is no such thing as too much garlic. :-)

ficklecattle.blogspot.com

Chary Johnson said...

I love naan, especially the one stuffed with cherries and nuts. Mmmm... goes so well with curry chicken.

*hungry*

Cynthia@RunningWithLetters said...

Mmmmm...sounds wonderful! I would have enjoyed dinner at your house better than mine tonight--we had crock pot baked potatoes with scant toppings and leftover soup here :/

Good tip on the butter. Burning butter can be quite hazardous. A friend of mine accidentally dropped a couple tablespoons into her oven--it caught aflame and the resulting smoke got in the ventilation system and deposited a greasy residue on every object in her home (and ruined the oven). Crews of workers were in her home cleaning for weeks.