Pages

11 November 2010

Updates and Garlic

NaNo is going pretty darn well. I've got over 24,000 words (hence the absence from the blog)!! According to the NaNo "official" novel stats, I should finish by November 21 at this rate. My official stats say I'm taking a day off! My arm is killing me!

I found a fabulous recipe for garlic naan which I'm going to try tonight. It's really simple and sounds exactly like what I had while in Delhi. The only differences I can tell from the recipe alone are the size of the naan and the amount of garlic and butter in the finished product. Talk about greasy! But oh so good...



(The original recipe -and the above picture- can be found at Allrecipes.com)

Ingredients
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional)
1/4 cup butter, melted

Directions
1.In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Let stand about 10 minutes, until frothy. Stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface, or until smooth. Place dough in a well oiled bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise. Let it rise 1 hour, until the dough has doubled in volume.

2.Punch down dough, and knead in garlic. Pinch off small handfuls of dough about the size of a golf ball. Roll into balls, and place on a tray. Cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes.

3.During the second rising, preheat grill to high heat.

4.At grill side, roll one ball of dough out into a thin circle. Lightly oil grill. Place dough on grill, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. Brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. Brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes. Remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out! I'll be firing up the grill tonight (well, the cast iron stove top grill at any rate). Maybe I'll even whip up some type of curry dipping sauce to go with it.

How are you other NaNo-er's doing? Any of you reached the 50,000 mark yet? Is your story taking shape? Mine has definitely taken some bizarre twists and turns from my original idea but I'm happy with it. I think with some (read a LOT) of editing, I might have something here.

Cheers!
Jen

14 comments:

Erin Kuhns said...

Jen! You're half way through and it's only the 11th! Impressive, lady!

And the garlic naan looks sooooo yummy. I think breakfast would be a good idea, for I'm starting to think about eating your blog.

Great GREAT job on NaNo.

Lydia Kang said...

I want to eat this but I am too lazy to make it. Why can't you live next door so I could just pop over and try a bite?
Darn.
Congrats on the Nano words! You're doing fabulously!

Melissa said...

That Garlic stuff sounds good. I want to make it but that means shopping so it'll have to wait until next week!

Great job on NaNo. Take a day off if you need it.

I finished!

Mary Aalgaard said...

Happy writing and eating. That looks good. It would be fun to try new recipes with a friend.

Brian Miller said...

nice. i look forward to hearing more on your story...and how the naan turns out...

Blondie said...

Good for you honey! Keep it up! Kori xoxo

Tiana Smith said...

Good job on your NaNo! I'm at 18 something, and I'm feeling pretty good about that :) I don't know what naan is, but it sure does look good :)

Lisa Gail Green said...

I wanted to do Nano this year so badly but alas, I am revising instead. It's a good thing though. I am close to having another manuscript out there in the hands of publishers, so I can't pass that up!! Good luck with yours and thanks for the recipe!

Susan R. Mills said...

I'm so lame in the NaNo department. I just hit 2800 today. Sad, I know. Good thing I didn't officially sign up for it. :)

The Golden Eagle said...

Keep up the words! :D Congrats on writing so much!

Kristi said...

Congrats on the NaNo progress! Keep up the good work, and definitely let us know how the recipe turns out! ;-)

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

I want to learn! Please let me know how that goes!

Jon said...

I have to say that the naan was delicious. I haven't had naan in India so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I thought it was great. Especially with the black dal. :)

anu said...

garlic Naan look nice and thick.