Pages

20 December 2010

Happy Christmas

I don't have any pictures; the day ran long and the night has just about got away from me.

But I do have words, and it's with those I'll paint a picture.

Our tree isn't very big. Last year it was over 9 feet tall. This year, it's a bit over six. It's spun round with strands of white lights and the ornaments have been collected from my first Christmas (1977, baby!), our first Christmas together (2004 to be exact), to the fat little blue glass owl I picked up just a few short weeks ago. There are owls and polar bears, coffee cups and snowmen. Jon and I made yarn ornaments this year. Beautiful, multi-colored balls of fabric-stiffened yarn and fabric.

There's a raven atop our tree. No star or angel for us! Truthfully, we don't have a tree topper and the raven just happened to be perched atop the bookshelf just behind the tree so it appeared to rest on the tree when I took pictures of it when it was first put in the stand. And thus a new tree topper tradition was born.

There's a manger scene in the window, wrapped round with white fairy lights. A snowman sits on the record player, a little homemade candle warms his mitten-hands.
Our cat is nestled all snug in one chair, dreaming of canned food and Christmas tree flavored water. The space heater hums merrily next to the sofa where I usually find myself after a really long, really stressful day at work.

This year has been hard. Seriously hard. Lots of stress and changes. There's been good things too, choices made, new paths discovered. For the most part, however, I'm ready for a new year. A new chance. A clean slate and a fresh start. My dreams and goals are forever growing. I see them looming on the horizon, just, as it would appear, out of reach. For a moment I ask you dear blog friends, what are your dreams for the coming year? Was your year a hard one? Perhaps you experienced loss. Big changes or small may have put the breaks on your plans. Maybe things didn't go exactly as you'd hoped.

That's what Christmas is for. To remind us of miracles. To remind us that no matter how hopeless the situation, no matter how dire the circumstances, there is always hope.

Christmas is magic. The word "magic" and the word "miracle" both come from the same roots. When boiled down to their essence, both words can be used to describe something that can not be explained, something which has just happened, without any plausible explanation.

Look out your window. Look at those around your table. Look at the pictures on your wall, the people who pass you on the street. Everyone a miracle. Everyone magic.
Nothing is impossible, dear friends. Not dreams, not goals, not plans. Not hopes. Not angels singing or virgin births. Nothing is impossible.

I'll be taking a bit of a break from blog land until January. I'll be back with a new blog to start up, a new part of the world to explore on this one, and some interesting news I'm sure! Oh, and I most definitely plan to return with a story of the impossible.

Save yours to share, dear friends.

And remember:

Where there is life, there is hope.
Jen

18 comments:

Lin said...

Amen, sister! Merry Christmas to you and enjoy your break!

Mary Vaughn said...

Very profound. Beautifully said.

Merry Christmas!

Carol Riggs said...

Pictures with words--! Perfect for writerly types. ;o) Yarn and fabric ornaments sounds wonderful! As do your white fairy lights around your nativity scene. Here's to a new year full of fabulous, exciting things! I'm looking forward to it! Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!

Kelley said...

Good luck in the new year and your tree sounds beautiful, the personal ones are the best! Happy holidays.

Kelly said...

I love your raven on top of the tree tradition. We had an angel for many years and finally put a star on top this year. But it's crooked!

Brian Miller said...

nice...and i totally want a raven tree topper...that just screams writer...lol.

Jennie Bailey said...

You painted a beautiful picture with your words! Have a Merry Christmas!! Enjoy your break.

Nicole Zoltack said...

What a great post, I loved it! Merry Christmas!

Meredith said...

Love the idea of a raven treetopper! I hope 2011 holds only the best things for you!

The Golden Eagle said...

Wonderful post!

Have a wonderful holiday season! :)

N. R. Williams said...

I could picture the whole thing. This was a terrible year, but will finish with both bad news and good. The good is that my book will soon be available on kindle. Next week I think or sooner.
Nancy
N. R. Williams, fantasy author

Elaine AM Smith said...

Words to create pictures :)
You have some profound and beautiful thoughts. Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Does the raven on top of the tree mean something or are you just being a rebel? LOL

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you!

gideon 86 said...

That was a lovely sentiment. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Happy Christmas to you and your family.

Michael

Rayna M. Iyer said...

Who needs photographs when there are words. I could amost see your tree, and it is gorgeous.

OceanDreams said...

Excited to see your new blog and I love your description of Christmas, it is indeed very magical! Hope you have a nice New Year too!

Glynis said...

You brought your home alive with your words, Jen.

I am sorry you had a hard year and wish you a brighter, new one.

For my daugher, I wish she could have the baby she longs for. She has just been told the one free chance on the IVF programme has been removed by the government. Our hearts are sad. She lost a baby three years ago which makes it harder for her.
For me, I hope my life continues along its path. It is not perfect but a good one.

Happy, Happy New Year.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Happy New Year! May you experience many blessings.