Pages

06 December 2010

Hopscotch


Go, Granny, GO!

Been thinking a lot about spice lately. Yep. Spice. You know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves (yes, even cloves...bleck!). Blame it on Christmas. When the holidays roll around, I start wanting spicy things: gingerbread, spiced (or spiked ;)) cider, chai. We made chai last night. It was the bagged kind; Holiday Chai it's called. We added some heavy whipping cream and some sugar and yum-yummy was it good! I'm glad I got over my chai-a-phobia. It tastes like Christmas in a cup!

Perhaps I'm thinking about spice because the next location in our culinary journeying is the Middle East. I've been thinking of the best way to do this, seeing as the Middle East is a very LARGE area and we have a very small month in which to explore it's culinary wonders. So. Instead of bouncing from country to country, how about if we look at Middle Eastern dishes in light of the holidays? Sounds groovy to me!

I promised you an update on the NaNo novel. I finished (*confetti*) and it's over 50,000 words (*trumpets*). Funny story: I finished the book by writing a rather detailed outline, spilling out the words as they came, untangling plot lines and character mishaps as I went. And I discovered, shock and amazement, that it's not a stand alone. THIS story is: it has a beginnings, a middle and an end. BUT, and this is a very big but, a character who decided to pop up in the middle of the tale (no, not the little girl I told you about before. A shape shifting cat named Finn), just HAD to go and complicate things. So now, my characters not only await my editing genius (*cough* struggle and random cursing *cough*), they also wonder just what the heck am I going to do to them next? Ah, the joys of prime exocutioner...torterer...author.

I feel like there's something I'm skipping, and not just the square upon which the stone landed. Ah, yes. I think I let slip a teensy-weensy little teaser last Friday. Something about a new blog? Yes, I know, I'm crazy. But someone (I can't recall who and for that I am very sorry) once said that blogs are like little pieces of ourselves. They allow us to be different aspects of a whole. I like to look at my blogs as rooms in an old English country manor. Just when you get comfortable in one-the fire lit, the brandy poured- someone suggests you go down the hall. Or you pull a book from the bookcase and a panel opens to a stairway and mysteriously lit torches.

The new place will concentrate on all things writing - my writing, the writing of others, writerly wisdom, prompts, rantings, ravings and rejoicings. I really (REALLY) would LOVE for you all to join me over there. I won't be posting quite yet. I'm going to let the holidays flitter me into January before I consider committing to more postings. I do have the drapes hung and the rugs laid. The walls have been given a coat of paint and the moves are just now placing the marble statues around the pool. Wander over if you like. Some of you already have and I thank you very, very much! There's not much to see just yet, but when things are settled, I invite you all over for a cuppa, be it tea, coffee, cocoa, spiced cider.

Or chai.

10 comments:

Brian Miller said...

nice.. will check out the new digs as i am all about the writing...but do like me some spice...so cool about the one character too...

Lin said...

Why not just redecorate one of the old rooms?? Hee! Hee! I like whatever you start, so create away, pally--I'll follow. :)

Meredith said...

Oooh, chai sounds perfect right about now! Can't wait to hear more about Middle Eastern food, and I can't wait for the new blog to start! I love the name :)

Susan R. Mills said...

First, congrats on finishing NaNo! Second, a new blog? How exciting. I'll definitely go check it out.

The Golden Eagle said...

I like the idea of checking out Middle Eastern dishes for the holidays--I'll look forward to the posts!

Congratulations on finishing your NaNo novel! :)

I'll definitely wander over and check out the new blog.

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

Love the chai! :)

LOTS OF CONFETTI!

Jane Kennedy Sutton said...

What a fun photo.

Congratulations on completing Nano. My characters often surprise me by their actions, so it’s only fair that the author should get to shake up the characters sometimes, too.

I’m looking forward to your new blog.

Melissa said...

Funnily enough I am drinking a vanilla chai drink right this moment!

I'm hoping over to check out your new diggs!

Rayna M. Iyer said...

I have cardamon flavoured chai in a glass tumbler with me right now!!!

Thought of you, and heard you metion spices.

Kittie Howard said...

Checked out your new digs...am your latest 'old' follower. Jen, you are doing sooooo great!