Pages

06 January 2011

At the Crossroads of Asia and Europe

So far, our journey (no matter how sporadic it may have been) has taken us through Asia. From China to the Middle East we've wandered, discovering dumplings and pastries, fresh mint dishes and strange delights most of us would never touch with a 39 1/2 foot pole.

We now find ourselves at a crossroads. Not quite out of Asia and yet not quite into Europe. Turkey sits along the borders of both. Though technically a European country, there is much about Turkey that remains shrouded in mystery (as much of Eastern Europe tends to be to Westerners). Perhaps that's what has always drawn me to this country. Or perhaps I'm mesmerized by it's landmarks and natural phenomena:

the Blue Mosque


Hagia Sophia


Pamukkale



It could be the idea of feasting on lamb kabobs and fresh yogurt or indulging in a bracing cup of Turkish coffee. Sweet mint tea is also on the menu, and heaven knows how much I LOVE mint! Or my attraction with this country could be the legend that Vlad Dracul was once imprisoned here by the Ottoman Army. According to this story, Vlad's hatred for the Ottomans grew and when he returned to Eastern Europe to set up his rule, his time in imprisonment prompted his cruel and rather unusual methods of displaying his conquered foes.

Whether or not the legend of Vlad the Impaler (who we all know and love as the inspiration for Count Dracula) had any connections with this country or not, there is still an air of mystery that surrounds it. I've held an almost sacred desire to spend time in the city once known as Constantinople, to explore it's many markets. Most of all, I wish to sit outside at a cafe, find out for myself if Turkish coffee is as strong as it is legendary, and watch the many wonders of this melting pot of civilization.

Won't you join me?


~Jen

PS: Speaking of joining me, my new writing-centric blog is up and running! Pop on over for a cuppa at Widdershins and Skeleton Keys.

11 comments:

Colene Murphy said...

Amazing!! Wow...just stunning. I would love to see all those places some day.

Parisienne Farmgirl said...

So happy you came by for a visit - I don't think I would have ever found this blog - is it a new one of yours?
Happy New Year to you!
Love the "free travel" idea! Perfect!
Angela,
ParisienneFarmgirl.com

roxy said...

These pictures were gorgeous and certainly inspired my imagination to wander from its boundaries. Thanks for the imaginary trip to Turkey. I'll pop over to the new blog now!

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Girl, I would LOVE to join you! Those photos are spectacular - I want to be there NOW! :-)

Brian Miller said...

those pics are gorgeous...how cool...i want some of that coffee as well...

The Golden Eagle said...

I love the pictures of Turkey! It's such an interesting country, with an amazing history.

Susan R. Mills said...

Amazing pics! And the coffee looks yummy!

ali said...

So beautiful!

Mary Aalgaard said...

So, when you brought the dog in, did you say, "She just followed me home. Can I keep her?" Sweet story. Soft heart. The pics and food look good. Happy 2011, and enjoy your classes!

Jon said...

I love how your tags include Turkish Coffee and Vlad Dracul. :) The pictures are wonderful. Perhaps Turkey should be the first out-of-the-country place I go. It would be fun. :)

OceanDreams said...

I would love to go, these places looks so enchanting and mysterious!