Pages

27 January 2011

Camel Wrestling!


photo credit

Yes, you read that right! Camel wrestling! What? You've never heard of the exciting idea of parading a female camel in front of a small herd of male camels and then letting them go at each other's throats (quite literally) under the delusion that the winner takes the bride?

Yeah, me either. But since we're still in Turkey (although on another one of those life induced, unplanned stops), when I saw the article on About.com, I just had to post it here.

If that's not strange enough for you, did you know there are camel beauty pageants?
Now you do.

Please note: I don't support camel wrestling. I don't support any type of animal fighting for fun and profit. Heck, I hate WWF and those are humans who are (somewhat) capable of making the decision to get the snot beat out of them with metal chairs and plywood!

I just found it interesting in a cultural anthropologist kind of way. Besides, if I ever need a unique career for a character in my next story, 'camel wrestler' sounds as unique as any!

Now you can tell all your friends you learned something new today.
You're welcome.

6 comments:

Kittie Howard said...

Thanks, Jen. You're spot-on about all this stuff (as I lived in the Middle East and have seen first hand). I'm personally not fond of camels (having ridden one or two) and think they're prima donnas beyond compare, but, hey, whatever floats the boat (as I know these beauty queen camels are treated like royalty, no kidding!)

The Golden Eagle said...

I've never heard of camel wrestling--poor camels!

Lin said...

I'm trying to figure out how I'm gonna work my new-found knowledge of camels into everyday conversation. Hmmmmmmm.....

Mary Aalgaard said...

Weird facts. Anyway, thanks for the info on camels. Not sure I'd want to get in spitting distance of the beasts.

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Yep, have heard of it and dislike it as much as bull fighting. Have you heard of the festival in northern India where camels...and brides...are bought and sold. Supposed to be a wild festival indeed!

Kristen Torres-Toro said...

There's a video on YouTube right now with people tickling a camel... it's pretty cool!