Pages

13 January 2011

Delightful!

First up, a couple of announcements:

1) School has knocked me for a loop. I thought it was going to be a cake walk, but this cramming a semester class into 8 weeks is whipping my back-side like nobody's business. That being said, I'm moving my posting here to 2 days instead of 3. You'll find me here Tuesdays and Thursdays until I can achieve balance, reach nirvana, or quit my job...

2) I have been a terrible blog reader! Please accept my humble, groveling apologies. See above for why it's taking me so long to respond to comments and visit your lovely places and faces.

3) Speaking of comments, I has a question: do you guys like having responses to your comments email to you (for those of you who have them set up that way) or would you rather me respond here, in a nice neat and unobtrusive format? Just curious; I want to make sure I respond to everyone and I'm trying to keep it sane for everyone involved ;)

OK!

Turkish Delight. I've posted on it before, eons ago, in another dimension. When I was a kid I was entranced by the name. Turkish hinted at the exotic; Delight meant it was, well, delightful.

CS Lewis (moment of silence...and go) immortalized it in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. I was captivated. Edmund was forgiven for his betrayal because, quite frankly, I would have done the same thing for something as tantalizing as Turkish Delight. (Not to mention he's WAAAAYYYY cooler than Peter and I always wanted to play the White Witch, but I digress...)




And then.

AND THEN!!

I found out what it was:




Cornstarch and sugar.

Yep. That's it. But wait! Don't get as disappointed as I was when I first saw it. My first thought was, "Really? It's jello covered in powdered sugar." Upon further research, I found that's not true at all. That's just what it looks like. Several recipes present it as technically challenging. The one I'm posting here confirms that: it's a candy and if you've ever tried to make candy, you'll know how challenging that can be.

Oh, and trust me when I say this, GET A CANDY THERMOMETER BEFORE YOU TRY TO MAKE CANDY OF ANY KIND!!! There's some people *cough* that I know *cough* who tried to make caramel without a thermometer. It didn't work out. *clears throat forcefully* That is all.

So, here's the recipe and a disclaimer: the guy who posted this thought it fun to have a French maid demonstrate the making of the Turkish Delight. I know that sort of thing may offend some (or just make it rather awkward if you open the link at work). That being said, it's more ridiculous than risque. The recipe is the most comprehensive I could find. You have been warned.

I have never made Turkish Delight but it's on my list of things to try.

Right after my "friends" purchase a candy thermometer I can borrow...

**If you haven't wandered over to my writing blog yet, you really should.
There's cake.

10 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I grew up with Turkish delight as I spent a lot of my childhood in my Greek grandparents' home :o) Love the stuff!!!

And yeah, email responses are great for me. It's acutally my preferred method.

Colene Murphy said...

NOM! I love that junk. Can't make it to save my life but that part never bothered me. Buying it is just as tasty!

(I love emailing back to comments, personally.)

The Golden Eagle said...

I've always wondered what Turkish Delight was, particularly after watching that movie. Thanks for the post!

Brian Miller said...

its actually pretty good...led a study once on the book and we tried it...

Glynis said...

Love the stuff! Surrounded by it here in Cyprus. It is known a Cyprus Delight here-now there's a surprise. LOL

As a little girl in the UK, it was the sweet of the adult ladies at Christmas.

*smiling at the movie*

Glynis said...

Sorry, I meant article photographs. I was looking at another movie on another blog! LOL

Lin said...

Doesn't it seem harder and harder each day to blog and visit your blogrolll?? It does for me, so I understand if you don't get by me. I need more hours in my day!

Comments are fine here--it's too much trouble to send individual emails, don't you think?

Beth said...

I never understood the fuss over Turkish Delight until I tried it when we were in Turkey. Then I didn't stop eating it until we came home again. It was wonderful!
And I know what you mean about blogging. Two times a week is great, three is a little too much for me.

Jen Chandler said...

Hey Beth!

Thanks a bunch for stopping by.

One of these days I'll wander over to Turkey and give it a real visit (and eat as much Turkish Delight as the white witch offers!)

Cheers!

Sandra said...

Holy Cow! You're smashing those school days into a very, very small space of time...best of success to you.
I like Turkish delight as well; it's funny that it's as easy as caramel to make.