Pages

19 January 2011

New Addiction

It's not hard for me to develop a severe crush on a cuisine once I dive into it. It doesn't matter if I've never tasted it, only researched it or wandered through the pages of a cookbook. If the descriptions tantalize my taste buds, I'm sold.

Dear Turkish Cuisine: I love you. For reals.

Since my last post, I've been thinking endlessly about Turkish Delight. Sad, but true. No, I have not made any yet. I have drank (drunk...drinked?) copious amounts of coffee. That's got to count for something. Research. Yeah, that it.

I did some Googling this morning and found a couple of restaurant menus which enticed me. I started hunting down these foreign phrases and discovered that Turkey is a treasure of culinary delights! It appears the Ottoman Empire did something right when it assimilated local and regional cuisines into their own, creating what modern people know as Turkish cuisine. It hints as Central Asian, Middle Eastern and Balkan. The Mediterranean even dips it's toes in to contribute its trademark veggies, herbs and fish.

And honestly? It doesn't look that complicated to recreate. Well, except for the whole Baklava thing. All that phyllo.

Here's one for you. In fact, I might deviate from my flight pattern this evening and pick up a few cukes. This sounds fabulous! Even on a cold winter's night.

Cacik (Cucumber-Yogurt Salad)

Peel and rinse 3 medium sized cucumbers then coarsely grate them. Finely chop 3 sprigs of dill (or more if you love it like me!). Whisk together 3 cups of yogurt, 2 tsp. of salt, 1 cup of water, and 3 cloves of garlic. Add the grated cucumber. Pour the mixture into one large bowl and drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and a bit more dill. Or, you can divide it individually and garnish each bowl accordingly.

I'm thinking some grilled pita might be in order for dipping. Or some croutons. Or a really big spoon. Mmmmmm....

Sorry for the delay in the posting! Got a bit tangled in all these work-school-home-life wires. Fear not! I'll wriggle out eventually. Oh, and did I mention I'm diving into rewrites? Head first? No life preserver? Yippee!!

12 comments:

Linda Myers said...

We spent a couple of weeks in Turkey in 2009. I remember eating very, very well, with lots of new and interesting tastes.

DG at Diary of a Mad Bathroom said...

That sure does sound tasty to me.

Jen Chandler said...

Hey Linda!
I'm am finding out so many people I know have been to Turkey. I think that's fabulous! :D

Tamika: said...

I wish I had time to cook like this! Heck, I'd even settle for time to eat like this:)

Melissa said...

Sounds good to me but I've never tried it.

Mary Aalgaard said...

Oh, that cucumber salad in a pita sounds delightful...also, I've never had Turkis Delight. I thought it was a made up food. You'll have to tell us how it turns out. I'm responding to your two most recent posts. I like it when the blogger emails me. I feel special. Plus, I don't usually go back to see if they answered unless I asked a direct quetion, or the discussion is interesting. Most of the time there isn't an on-going discussion.

Happy cooking!

Kristi said...

You always manage to make me even hungrier than I already am! ;)

Good luck with all the rewrites!

Jennifer said...

You always make me so hungry and I have no kitchen here: not fair. :D

Going to go eat now and pretend the weird tasting pizza from the dining hall is this yogurt salad.

Rebecca S. said...

Ha! I still have the phyllo in my freezer from the Baklava I intended to make for Thanksgiving. The cucumber dish looks great and so much of their food is so cooling and perfect for hot weather.

Lin said...

I work with a sweet girl from Turkey. She is always telling me that I need to eat Turkish food with her. And yes, she brings us baklava from Turkey when she goes there. YUM!

roxy said...

Sounds like I need to pick up some yogurt at the store so I can use the cucumbers in my fridge. Delish! Thanks, Jen.

Regina said...

This sounds like something that I need to go home and make tonight. Thanks for the great post.